wolf compressor advice

1. pumper New Member

northeast
    hi.

been looking to buy a compressor this one seems the best value for grunt:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370634293517?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i have read a few threads on here about "modifying" this compressor when it arrives but can never find what mods these are.

if i buy this compressor, do i need to change the regulator etc?

it will be used to spray hvlp, i will not be spraying cars or parts of cars, i will be spraying spoilers and splitters for my own car, (cheaper to buy compressor guns and paints then what it is to have all the bits sprayed in a shop i will eventualy need dooing)

would also like to run air racthet, windy gun tyre inflator etc.

also know i need a water filter trap etc.

but for new i just want to know what i would also need to buy to mod this compressor so i can get the best from it.

never painted before so will have questions about this when the time arrives.

cheers

2. Chipper Member

Welcome.

Most of us would run a line directly off the tank, avoiding the built-in outlet/s up by the switches. Use a good quality regulator/water trap combo.

Re price and specs, it sure is cheap. I do wonder if cheapy comps are sometimes a bit optimistic about their outputs. But have not much basis for that except a suspicious nature... and doubting my other half's cheapie actually makes what it claims.
    If planning on using 2k, be sure to read up on here about H&S, and air-fed and all of that.

3. pumper New Member

northeast
    thanks for your reply, i just can not jusify buying from machine mart then having to have a sparky in to run power sutibale to power one from machine mart.

compressors seem very expensive for what they actually are.

i have found this 100l, but it makes no mention of fad cfm etc, any of you have a guess of what it could be?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPR...Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item27cb1aa6c0

this forum seems to be the place to be regarding air compressors etc, so i intend to hang around.

4. hotrodder Member

SE England
    The first link doesn't mention FAD either, just displacement which'll be caculated from the swept volume. Very roughly a 3hp compressor will give around 9 cfm FAD (?), maybe less or a touch more depending on how 'honest' the 3hp rating is etc.

While 3hp/2.2kw in theory is 13A plug territory a motor is a very different prospect to say a kettle... they pull a lot more than 13A during start up, the ebay link to the wolf thing even says...

5. pumper New Member

northeast
    if i have any problems with the 13amp issues, i was going to wire it to the cooker socket when i need to use it.

6. Cally91

Cally91 Member

London,UK
    I have a wolf Dakota in your eBay link and it's a great machine for the price just check it over once you receive it as a few bolts were lose when mine arrived and the pump flywheel was damaged which they replaced free of charge and next day

7. eil Member

N Wales
    I think compressors have never been cheaper in fairness.

8. Cally91

Cally91 Member

London,UK
    And mine runs of 13 amp plug direct in to socket on start up it will dim the lights if it's plugged in my workshop :)

9. darren.a.roberts Member

Cambridge
Advertisements