wolf arc 140amp!!!

1. syborg like brian blessed tryin to whisper

uk suffolk
    i know theres been a huge influx of digital arc/tig welders....
    but has anyone bought a wolf arc buzz box??

i bought my first arc welder from a normal catalogue well over 14 yrs ago and it cost me 80 quid, i think it only goes up to 90-100 amps. no fan just a huge coil, leads, clamp and holder, it did me really well until i started welding 2.5mm plus.

then i got cocky and invested in a panther mig welder.....i bought it from a cromwell tool rep at my old cnc machining company. it did the job but i just didnt get on with it as well as my old buzz box.

so i found a chap on fleebay selling wolf arc welders.....i bought a wolf arc 140 amp.... its about the same size as my old one, fan cooled and only cost me 40 quid brand new!!!!!

obviously plus about 15 sheets postage but i think for basic metal splattering its ideal...

i cant do arc art as well as my old 40 amp beast cos it only goes down to aroung 60 amps so dig my old generic one out for such occasions.

has anyone else got hold of one of these and what do you guys think to budget arc welding outfits. ie wolf arc welders?

peace

syborg.

2. GeorgeB pre-moderated

London, UK
    Good questions but it's a bit of a sensitive issue around here. I rate these machines as reliable, useful and with little to go wrong. Others, including the buyers guide at this forum, suggest these cheap buzz boxes should be avoided.

I'd be happy using one of those machines for joining any steel over about 1mm or 1.5mm thick. I've gone down to 0.7mm thick without blowing many holes but it's a challenge for sure and MIG welding is much easier, if more expensive.

Starting the arc is quite difficult with the buzz box's open circuit voltage of under 48 volts. Inverters use a higher voltage and, together with other factors, it's easier to start the arc. But inverters are more expensive and there's more to go wrong, so it's a personal choice.

3. PTvor Member

UK
    They used to be sold as Home Welders.

They're great if you don't need to weld a lot, (the duty cycle can be very poor) , and it saves money and hassle to be able to burn a rod or two to make a bracket or a frame, or weld new legs on the incinerator, or fix the handle on the lawnmower. It helps a lot if you've done some welding before and don't have to learn the very basics, plus you have realistic expectations, e.g. no car panels.

All a lot of people with a house, garage and garden want to be able to do, is weld a couple of bits of 3mm mild steel together two or three times a year; worth having the capability for £100 or less, but not worth forking out more.

I think there's a place in the world for these little buzz-boxes.

Advertisements