wolf 90 litra dakota buying advice

1. pdrpaul New Member

hey guys new to the forum. looking for info on the wolf Dakota 90 litre air compressor will be mainly using to practice SMART repairs and painting complete bumpers etc. but would like some info first if possible.
    1. will I have to change couplings etc to run machine mart tools ie hvlp spray guns / air lines and the like, if so how do I do it (never had air compressor so its a big new world to me lol)
    2. will the compressor be able to handle painting large areas such as doors possibly whole side of a car?
    3.will it run well from standard uk household plug. if not how difficult is it to sort out a higher amp unit.

was planning on buying a Clarke 50 litre 14CFM compressor but keep hearing these wolf units are great and also belt driven which seems the way to go. any help much appreciated as I have loads I wanna paint and if I get any good already have some people looking for things sprayed, did two years at college with bodywork but have never had to deal with getting my own air supply so got a decent understanding of things once I get passed the initial purchase of compressor

2. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

I've not done any painting with mine, but its coped with everything i've thrown at it and would expect it to paint OK.
    it comes with the small euro style fittong anf MM sell these, They are only fittings and you can put whatever you like on your tooling.

It runs fine of a 13A Plug. I've put mine on a 16A feed though

3. pdrpaul New Member

cool thanks. so if im thinking right its just whats at the end of the air hose that connects into compressor has to match euro style fit and the other end can be whatever your spraygun requires.

4. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Yep

5. pdrpaul New Member

6. pdrpaul New Member

7. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Nope. I ran a separate feed from the Consumer Unit via separate MCB to a 16A commado Socket and then I plug it in there. Its not on a 32A ring main with 13A plug

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

pdg likes this.
  9. pdrpaul New Member

cheers guys understand the whole PPE etc and was planning on using water traps etc to keep paint as clean as possible. any you know what smart repairers use when spraying 2k lacquers as I have seen a fair few using the 50 litre Clarke compressor units in back of their van. one being a revive guy and id imagine there is no way near enough spare air for air feed masks

10. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

I am interested in replacing my Rhyas Vee twin direct drive 14CFM 50litre compressor with a Wolf Dakota.

My Rhyas normally only runs one or two days a week and delivers sufficient air for the bit of QAD enamel spraying I do, and it does keep up admirably with and stay ahead of my Plasma cutter. Currently I rarely run air tools, maybe a die grinder once or twice a year and an air scraper on an annual clean up job, so a huge reservoir of air to provide decent run times for air hungry tools is not an issue for me, but an extra 40 litre of air storage capacity can't be a bad thing.

What does interest me about the Wolf Dakota is the supposedly quiet running belt drive and I would like to know if anyone has directly compared the Dakota against a 14cfm direct drive compressor and can confirm this.

I am also interested in the number and thread size of air outlets that it comes with as standard, My Rhyas came with two Euro female quick release which I did away with and replaced with direct fitted hose lines which I upped to 3, each with a ball valve so I can isolate the individual lines: one dedicated spray paint line through a filter regulator, one dedicated plasma cutting line through two larger filter regulators one of which was filled with silica gel in a muslin bag, and the third line being an unfiltered, unregulated main pressure line which I use with a blow nozzle or the few air tools I do occasionally use. I also use different coloured recoil hoses so I know exactly which line is which.

Out of curiosity, please could someone who owns and uses a Dakota take a few photos of the standard fitted regulator and outlets. One from above, one from the end and one from the side. As I would like to see what the actual layout is, because the photos I've managed to find on Google, Amazon & eBay are not that clear.

pdrpaul likes this.
  11. They rely on cartridge masks as they are spraying outdoors rather than in a confined space. Even something as big as the Wolf compressor is not enough to paint and supply a mask.

pdrpaul likes this.
  12. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Sorry They went in the Bin

its a Zamak manifold 1/4" fittings one is regulated and the other not. the inline one is regulated and the one opposite the knob is un regulated.

One thing to watch is they come out of the factory at 8 Bar. I accidentally took the cover off and a spanner droppped over the wee nut and went round a few times. Odd though as it reads 10 Bar now :whistle:

to Be honest its a cheap compressor. As I always say cheap is cheap for a reason. In this case its the outpouts. The motor and compressor are fine and appear to be very similar to more expensive ones. At the price they sell it you've still got room to modify as you see fit

13. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Bypass the regulator and run a 1/2" filter regulator at the end of the line. The 1/4" regulator on the compressor will be a real bottle neck and will restrict flow.

I posted a thread on what I did to my compressor, made a big difference.

The Wolf compressor is good bang for your buck and I'd say it's a good choice for a home compressor. There are better compressors but I doubt at that price. Cheapest is in Amazon that I have found.

14. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

unfortunately its 1/4" off the receiver

15. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

What about the plug in the dome end? Hard to tell from the pics online but looks like it is 1/2" but I could be wrong.

Advertisements