Wolf 140 Mig vs Thermal Arc Fabricator 181

1. gmrstaffs Member

Hi all,
    i'm thinking of purchasing one of the Wolf 140 Migs to use.

I used to own a Clarke 150EN which served me well for many years until i decided to 'upgrade' to the Thermal Arc which i just cannot seem to get on with on thin bodywork material (0.9 to 1.2mm steel)

I just want a cheap unit that works ok on the thin stuff, so has anyone any experience with these machines? I realise there are probably better about but thats what the thermal arc was supposed to do lol

Cheers for your input.

(Thermal arc set up: 0.6mm wire, settings as per manual give or take a nudge )

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    This is the first time I've ever seen anyone contemplate 'upgrading' a Thermal Arc to a Wolf! :laughing:
    What are the specs on the TA and what problems are you having with it?

3. gmrstaffs Member

The Thermal works ok on thicker stuff, but the trigger/gasflow/wirefeed seems delayed, just can't seem to get a good 'feel' perhaps due in part to the longer cabling. Other issue is the arc stabilisation just seems to go against what i'm doing and always seem to get too much burnback no matter how i adjust the settings.

With the older (and more basic) clarke i knew the settings straight away,
    that's part of the reason for enquiring about the Wolf i'm not expecting wonders but i'm getting nowhere fast with the Thermal arc and Land rover discoveries tend to be weld intensive lol

4. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    :clapping: I have the older 180...use it with 0.8mm wire an co2 ,always use the "thin metal technique" or overlapping tacks on thin steel , are you trying to run beads?...what gas?....were you an ok welder with your old set up :whistle: :laughing:

5. gmrstaffs Member

Hi Gav,
    managed to get plenty of practice with the old setup using 0.6mm wire for most of the time mainly panels and sills etc never really any issues other than the gun lead being too short hence the purchase of the thermal arc as a replacement.

I'm using the same 0.6mm wire, argoshield light and the panels are 1 to 1.2mm in thickness.Usually butt welds (stitched and then seamed) overlap welds where necessary and a few plug welds using thicker 0.8mm wire.

Pretty inexperienced with the new setup and struggling. Admittedly what i'm welding is akward, inaccesable and difficult to find good metal on so probably not an easy learn. Having said that the old clarke coped admirably!

Just need to get some welding done and need a cheap machine that's like the clarke simple and not too complicated (or was that me ? :laughing: )

I know the Thermal is a good machine just can't get on with it at the mo!

6. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    Sorry to hear you are struggling ,shame your not closer :laughing:....does it weld ok on the bench ,with new material?...as I said I only use the on/off overlapping tacks on car stuff, I find it distorts less and is very quickly learnt,might be worth trying 0.8mm wire on lower settings to compare?.

Not sure about your perceived delay on the trigger,don't get that with mine ,perhaps some pics of your welds with new metal on the bench with 0.6mm and 0.8mm will get you better advice...

Still think you are better spending your time sorting the welder you have than getting the wolf :whistle: :laughing:

7. gmrstaffs Member

Ok i know it's been quite a while but just thought i'd update this thread a little.

Turns out the main problem with my thermal arc was down to the fact the gas feed in connector was cracked (and had been for a while judging by the discolouration of the material!)

Managed to get that sorted and lo and behold decent welds again :-)

On the Wolf front got that and used in in the in-between time, till that had a problem with intermittent wire feed, that turned out to be down to the 1k cheapo potentiometer that had broke, trip to Maplins and £1.49 later the Wolf is now working again also!

Only one thing better than a working welder, two working welders lol. One setup for gas (Thermal Arc) and one for gasless (Wolf) :-)

Advertisements