Wire on Honda GX160 Engine

1. andyg0141 Member

I have a Canon scarifier that is fitted with a Honda GX160 engine however, it appears to have a cable connected to nothing at the front of the engine - see picture below. Its a yellow cable and has a bullet connector fitted but no corresponding connector that I can see.

The engine runs fine - but any ideas what its for?

IMG_0835.jpg

Thanks,

Andy

2. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Could it be a charging circuit, not fitted in that application? No idea really just a guess, put a meter on it when running& see if there is voltage on it.

andyg0141 likes this.
  3. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    It's an oil sensor which would stop the engine starting if there wasn't enough oil. They do fail and you have to split the case to replace them so it looks that one has been bypassed

sardine, bwservices and andyg0141 like this.
  4. andyg0141 Member

Ahh - makes perfect sense! Knew someone here would know :)

5. dan treg Member

on mine on my wacker plate goes to a capacitor or choke then to earth maybe a suppressor (or whatever its called ) to prevent electrical noise/ interference maybe?

6. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

It's above the level of the filler cap so it could be an oil pressure switch, try grounding it out with the engine running.

7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    It is 100% the level oil sensor, there is a float sensor fitted inside the block. When the oil is low it connects the yellow wire to ground and hence stopping the engine

dobbslc likes this.
  8. sardine

sardine Member

Low oil ignition cut off float switch.

You only need to disconnect it if its faulty to keep the engine running.

9. I fitted one to my generator. The low oil sender is useful when the engine is a bit tired and runs for long periods without checking the oil level.
    The float gets clogged with sludge and sometimes gets stick in the low level position and people disconnect them.

andyg0141 likes this.
  10. dan treg Member

just out of curiosity had another look at mine and i think were all correct. my wire comes out of block (presumably the oil switch) then to this thing that looks like a capacitor or choke then to switch so indeed would cut engine as described above

andyg0141 likes this.
Advertisements