Wire ID

1. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

My starter Mig welding is coming along, I ran out of 0.6 wire and bought & fitted a reel of A18 Super 6 just now, hope its on par with the Clarke reel that I used up?

Looking through the wire reels that came with the clarke 151 I bought, could do with some advice please.

The smaller reel is 0.8 mig and its picked up a bit of rusting at least the external coils, do I clean it up and keep or bin it?

The middle reel is 0.8 for ally? has no ID on the reel, has a bit of white oxide. Again could do with some advice, to what it is, and keep to use with argon when/if I move on.

The last reel I have not got a clue, its 1mm so I don't think I can use it with the 151, no idea what it is keep or bin?

Thanks
    Chris
    IMG_1717.jpg

2. Jlg

Jlg Member

The last one looks like flux core with the first one just unwind it till you get clean wire

3. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Its a lot more brittle, breaks if you bend it a few times, guess it may have come with the set originally, so will kepp that in case and have a go without gas.
    Got back to clean wire on the 0.8 amd wrapped it up to store thanks for that.
    Any ideas on the middle one?

4. Jlg

Jlg Member

If it's aluminium just unravel it to clean and wrap it up

5. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Try keeping it somewhere warm (in the house?) until needed.

When removing a reel from the welder, keep hold of the wire end and poke it though one of the retaining holes to stop it unravelling and getting crossed over.

6. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Got them unraveled a bit to clean wire and wrapped up, garage is never that cold or damp so stored nicely ok

[QUOTE="Robotstar5, When removing a reel from the welder, keep hold of the wire end and poke it though one of the retaining holes to stop it unravelling and getting crossed over.[/QUOTE]

Wish I got that before the bastard cobra let loose :laughing: in hand and fitted now all good :thumbup:

Jlg and Robotstar5 like this.
Advertisements