Wire feed issues Portamig 185

1. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

Had this since new and never really been an issue until recently. (I did post a similar issue in Jan 18 but didn’t resolve it so this is technically the same issue I suppose) I am running 0.8 wire and am having to use the 0.6 wire guide just to grip the wire and clamp it down to max (5) just to get it to feed and then there is a slight spot where it’s almost as if it’s pausing but it gets away with it. All the time the wire feed motor is running perfectly which leads me to believe it is the drum spool causing my ills. It is tight throughout although I am using 5kg reels of wire with the locating lug in the side of the 5kg reel which turns the spool. If it were on a plain spool without a locating lug but just a tight lock nut I feel it would turn ok.

SteScouse likes this.
  2. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    Have you tried changing the liner?

SteScouse likes this.
  3. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

Brand new torch today. Didn’t cure it.

SteScouse likes this.
  4. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    Tensioner on drum spindle slack enough?

arther dailey, SteScouse and Exuptoy like this.
  5. I had an issue recently with poor wire feed on my clarke & the motor seeming to slip. I suspected the wire feed roller may be worn or a dirty liner, neither wich I had changed in the past. I also recalled in the past a spring type piece wich came out the end of my torch when changing a tip & not realising it`s origin & that it was the swan neck liner that had broke, causing a slight gap in torch head & thus the wire catching. Maybe what you may be experiancing maybe not, but a possibility wich may be worth checking.

Dan

SteScouse and Exuptoy like this.
  6. eddie49 Member

Is the spool spindle brake spring and nut simply turned down too tight ?
    The tension on the spindle should be such that, with a full 15Kg spool, and maximum wire speed, when the wirefeed stops, the spool comes to a smooth stop without any inertia causing running-on.

7. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

I wasn’t aware there was a spool spindle adjustment. Sound like my issue. Have to have a look tomorrow.
    Cheers guys.

@defender dan I changed the torch for a brand new one today so it cannot be the liner or swan neck.

SteScouse likes this.
  8. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

If it's like mine there's a black allen key hidden in the dark space in the center of the spool for adjusting the tension. Others have easier to see nuts. Worth setting up as eddie49 suggests.

The feed tends to be robust. Cleaning the grooves might be another thing to try. Also worth checking the tip is 0.8.

20200209_203133[1].jpg

SteScouse and Exuptoy like this.
  9. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

First thing on my list is to adjust it, hopefully it’ll sort my issues. The tip is a new 0.8 one, I fitted it this morning after swapping out the torch.
    Sounds like my issue is the tension.
    I’ll feed back once I’ve adjusted it.

SteScouse likes this.
  10. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

Adjusted as advised. Perfect lads. Not sure why the adjustment was as tight as it was, even though the bolt wasn’t THAT tight? All sorted now. Thanks for the assistance.

Shedendman, Wallace, eddie49 and 3 others like this.
  11. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

Haven’t been able to lay a bead like this in a while!

23D9BEA8-BABB-4E7D-8E3D-5B8622B51969.jpeg

eddie49 likes this.
  12. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    I wonder if this is the same issue i'm having with my Tecarc,same family,will check tomorrow:thumbup:

Exuptoy likes this.
  13. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

Any update?

14. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    No,machines at work, i'm at home waiting for phase 2 hopefully be thurs or fri:thumbup:

Exuptoy likes this.
  15. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

Been up the garage earlier and tweaked my settings a little and it turned out the following. Torch got snagged causing the wiggle towards the left hand end of the weld. Very pleased although as it is thick metal it's not exactly rocket science.
    It's certainly not gonna fall off! :D

IktWy33SSC2n5xJr31FfCg.jpg

arther dailey likes this.
  16. Dadweld New Member

Hello,

I've recently bought a Tecarc 181 and although I've MMA welded quite successfully previously, my welds with a MIG welder sometimes look like I don't have a clue what I'm doing!
    I've successfully welded test pieces and thought I had it, then welded the actual work piece and it's been terrible!
    I've also been getting really bad spatter at the start of the weld too and started to think the wire wasn't coming through as it should but once it gets going it's okay and there's no spatter at all.
    Anyway, had a look at the the machine's wire spool holder with a view to establishing whether or not it could take a mini spool of wire without having to buy an adaptor and discovered the tensioning device (no mention in the instruction manual about either!). Slackened it off, the wire seems to come through more smoothly and my welds are better. I was running 0.6 mm wire on a 5 kg spool.

Exuptoy likes this.
Advertisements