windy day

1. brightspark

brightspark Member

anyone had any damage :)as windy as hell here . moved gear away so it don't blow on the vehicles moved all the potted plants to a sheltered part of garden so they don't get damaged

2. pondy

pondy Member

Been fairly windy here but nothing to bad, it has managed to blow alot of moss off my roof, saved me a job! Sweeping it off the drive is easier than getting the ladders out etc. Was forecast for storms in my area last few days but just been overcast and windy today

3. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Sitting under the trees drinking beer in the wind. Living on the edge baby living on the edge.....

Wallace, 123hotchef, johnik and 5 others like this.
  4. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I had to look at a willow which was road side on friday, hoping to pull it over with the chaps tractor.

No chance rotten from the roots and swaying at ground level next to a busy road which was non stop. "odd for lockdown"

So 7:00am me and a father son team headed over climbed it got it down in an hour they headed off i tidied up.

Im 100% that if i i hadn't done it in the morning it would have been over in the afternoon. Also good thing about tree work is by the nature of the job no one is close and we are all in separate motors, i will still do the 7 days of hoping non of us have it.

5. magnet

magnet Member

N E UK
    Its blowing a hooley here. When the jackdaws are flying sideways you know its fresh.

123hotchef, brightspark and mtt.tr like this.
  6. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    Old chicken shed went over twice, second time with two big concrete blocks on the roof.

New chicken shed is fine but I've still got to finish panelling it, build nest boxes and perches.

Seadog, barking mat and mtt.tr like this.
  7. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Been terrible here for 2 days straight...stuff blowing around and almost destroyed all my potted plants till i put them in a shelted spot

8. cheb Forum Supporter

Gusts of about 60mph up here, that's storm 10 on the Beaufort scale.

9. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Dog's arthritis ramp* has blown over three times so I'm just leaving it until the wind dies down.

If that's the worst we get then that'll do for me! Glad the sleepers haven't shifted as I doubt the fence would be impressed.

upload_2020-5-23_19-45-57.png

(* made the ramp to get him down the back steps for a pee when he had his knee rebuilt. Holding onto the ramp cos it's only a matter of time before the other one needs doing)

Wallace likes this.
  10. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Windy here but not to bad. The roof tiles have stopped rattling. Could mean one of two things tiles have been ripped off and/or it’s less windy!

11. jimbo84 Member

Nothing structural just garden plant damage. Trees are practically sideways. We have some large shrubs about 20ft tall next to the fence before the big trees, one minute they're there the next they've gone then back again, never seen them move so much. A few trees down locally on the news.

Don't understand the met office, usually a ton of weather warnings making it look like armageddon is on the way and then you get a slight breeze or shower, then you get it like it is now days of very strong winds, trees down etc. and they barely mention it's going to be windy :dontknow:

James1979 likes this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Ditto here and rain with it. :(

13. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

yeah ......
    rough here as well.......
    sunset from a couple of days ago......
    been plus 30 for a week or so......had to find thinner T shirts.........hahaha...... IMG_1578.jpeg

jimbo84 and magnet like this.
  14. daleyd

daleyd Member

Was really gusty here, but strangely super calm in between!

15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Wind's dropped here today but it's raining now, we were getting 50mph gusts yesterday it blew one of our patio chairs over :o :D

16. Wallace

Wallace Member

It was windy here yesterday, played havoc with controlling the bbq heat but the ribs came out okay.

CEAE7D73-95EE-4006-91D8-9A466B978E0C.jpeg

17. sako243

sako243 Member

I suspect the two chaps who were the last of the trade have now passed but they the tiles on my parents place and the older bits of mine have been there for a few hundred years with no issues and very high winds.

They had a building inspector around years ago for something else and asked his opinion on the sagging slate roof. He very quickly said don't touch it! In the good old days they had the experience and selected the seasoned beams appropriately so that once the load of the slates went on and the wood finished seasoning insitu it would sag under the weight of the tiles slightly. That caused them to all lock up and despite regular 100mph+ winds they've never lost a slate off that roof.

The BI said he knew of two Welsh lads who still built roofs that way, but they were in their 70s 30 years ago, and all the modern stuff is built with too much framework to allow it. Mainly because the skill / experience of seasoning the trusses etc has been lost.

brewdexta, Migmac and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements