Why is it jumpy and not smooth

1. Why is it jumping like mad especially at the start of welds and then smooths out a bit better. Just got this new torch so I will be able to turn her up yo full power when I get the 16amp fitted.
    I think she is better on the old torch but I'd need to change back to be sure.

2. I can't get a video uploaded

3. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Upload to Youtube and post the shareable link.

5. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

I would suggest that the weld area needs grinding and your welder needs to be turned up power wise or the wire speed turned down possibly both.

The metal looks to be about 6mm thick, what welder do you have and what settings were dailed in???

metalmelt and Richiew like this.
  6. Its a magnum 210 and on setting 4 which is 155 amps I think.
    I tried 4mm before that and it was cleaned with grinder and it done the same. Second weld over the hot one is always better. The 3rd weld on that one was really poor at starting

7. Richiew Forum Supporter

Too much wire speed and a poor return connection? Clean the material properly.

stuvy likes this.
  8. Do you mean the crimp connection of the wire or the clamp connection dirty.

9. Richiew Forum Supporter

The stuttering was mentioned on here ages back. Some of us with Portamigs mentioned it and one of the more experienced members advised to make sure we have a direct return to work piece. It sorted out my problem anyway.

To be honest from what I can see you seem to be clamped onto rust and also the copper cable on your return lead looks very corroded where it bolts onto the clamp. I might be seeing it wrong though. Could be worth cutting back the corroded copper cable and making a clean connection.

If you have a poor circuit you can expect a poor weld.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  10. I turned the speed down a wee bit and cleaned the rusty connection on the clamp and it made a big difference.
    Is their anyway to stop it rusting again?
    Thanks for all the help.

11. Richiew Forum Supporter

Clamps tend to heat up and corrode. Cables go brittle. You just have to monitor them.

metalmelt likes this.
Advertisements