Who makes Halfords screwdrivers?

1. JohnH Member

UK M25 J6
    As the title. I know they are made in Germany, because its got that written on them, but I cant find any similar drivers online. There are one or two gaps in their range that I would like to fill if possible. PH3 stubby and a T27 torx among others.

I've got shed loads of other screwdrivers, so got the missing sizes covered, but its bugging just me that I/ve got a gap.

2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I asked this question few weeks ago, no answer yet i also like there drivers.

3. winchman

winchman Member

I suspect a manufacturer will custom make a handle for Halfords and use standard blades, Surprised at them being German never noticed a country of origin on them ? I would have thought Taiwan but the Chinese stuff is getting better.
    I know Williams make the hard handle screw drivers for Snap on as I bought tow sets for less than one from Snap on

4. Domdom Member

I think Danaher group companies mostly make the Halfords tools. Companies like Sata, Gearwrench (Apex tools - where my Mrs works)

If you look at the gearwrench catalogue, take the ratchet spanners as an example, they are exactly the same as the Halfords ones. Socketry is the same. I think the ratchets used to be Cobalt, not sure now they’ve changed the design though. As for the screwdrivers, not 100% sure but they have all the hallmarks of Wera blades with custom handles.

Apex own other stuff too such as Weller (soldering) and Spline Gauges which is where wifey works.

barking mat, mtt.tr and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Part of Cooper Dahaner in US also Cleco fixing pins etc
    Make tools for aerospace industry

6. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

Sykes Pickavant used to make Halfords own.

7. JohnH Member

UK M25 J6
    I had a good look at their site but could find no screwdrivers at all. Saw some Wiss stuff and surprising Creasant. I've got both of their tools from years ago, and a recent Wiss shears that almost broke my little finger. We wont talk about that!

8. JohnH Member

UK M25 J6
    I'm not really sure if Sykes actually made anything. I think they were just a brand. Not saying the stuff they marketed was no good, though I did manage to break one of their nut splitters!

9. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Wiss, there is a name from the past.

They used to supply the MOD @daleyd in the RATTS tool systems.

They were good.

mechman and daleyd like this.
  10. daedalusminos Member

Don't forget you're buying Halfords screwdrivers, it's up to the procurement team to decide who actually makes them.

11. The_Yellow_Ardvark

They did, but now who knows.
    It is like Snap On, used to be made in Germany, now made overseas to a Spec they supply.

There was a place in Melksham who assembled the kits to be sent out.
    Good coffee good staff canteen and near a decent tool shop as well

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. JohnH Member

UK M25 J6
    Interesting. I've got a couple of Snap On spanners (aka wrenches) that have "Made in Canada" on them.
    I'm pretty sure the Blue Point (?) stuff comes from Taiwan. No problem there as I've got loads of good Taiwanese stuff, except its not Blue Point expensive.

13. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    The blades could be made in China and then the handles moulded onto them in Germany - or vice versa!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. Mr Fixer

Mr Fixer Member

I got these a few years back as a spare set. Not had to open yet. Made in Taiwan

CF7C0CED-6752-4CA3-A39A-7C6816361057.jpeg D46FF7B3-1E0B-482A-A6E5-84FD6BE2C9FB.jpeg

Wallace likes this.
  15. julianf

julianf Member

Just don't get the sets of halfords Allen or torque keys (the right angle ones).

You'll get sick of exceeding the warranty.

16. Wallace

Wallace Member

They were regularly giving those sets away with a gallon of oil a few years back. I have two sets, one lives in a draw as spares and the other on the bench tool board. They weren’t part of the Advanced range back then.

17. JohnH Member

UK M25 J6
    I have that set and it has GERMANY PATM9800625.8 on the actual screwdrivers. Very odd.

Heres the torx set and it only says "Produced for Halfords" on the box;

[​IMG]img20200215_08583751

and on the driver;

[​IMG]IMG_1285

Very odd. Infact it has the same on all drivers on all the other sets I have, other than the stubbies, which have no markings.

I've cracked it!!! I googled GERMANY PAT M9800625.8 and came upon this thread https://mastergrad.com/forums/t2378...-jonnesway-voprosy-po-instrumentu/?order=desc which when translated it mentioned the Taiwanese manufacturer as SUNDOVE http://www.sundovetools.com/series.php?producttypeid=1&seriesid=35

18. SierraV6 Member

So they aren’t actually made in Germany then?
    Presumably that’s why they say simply ‘Germany’ on the handle as opposed to ‘Made in Germany’ although I’m not sure what exactly the ‘rules’ are surrounding this.

I quite like German screwdrivers, as well as the usual Wera and Wiha ones I have some Felo and SKG and they’re all nice. Witte seem to be another good brand, I don’t have any myself though.

19. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
  20. ukracer Forum Supporter

How do you exceed the warranty?

Advertisements