Which plug

1. danman Member

lincolnshire
    CDF94D08-9D34-4D85-9FB8-DAB0E6638459.jpeg 8D7A7993-6D62-41D4-B3F9-D4E3AF8B0F65.jpeg just got me new welder,kemmpi,now my old welder was on a 32A plug,will it be reat with this one too

2. Jlg

Jlg Member

I don't see why not I use 40a on all mine or you could just bang a good 13a on it

danman likes this.
  3. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Got a Schuko plug on my Esab, I already had an adapter (schuko to 16 amp commando) but will get around to hardwiring one to it instead to avoid the adapter. I checked with the dealer and they said absolutely fine (wanted to avoid warranty issues).

4. Richard.

Richard. Member

Better over rated than under rated.
    It’s only going to draw what it draws.
    Put a 32 on it.
    Just make sure the gland on a 32 amp plug nips that thin cable tight enough to prevent a core pull. I think they are best suited to 4mm cable but @brightspark will know for sure.

danman likes this.
  5. Jlg

Jlg Member

The 32a on my welder clamps 2.5 tight enough to leave dints in the cable if you take it off

6. evobilly666 Member

I have a 16 amp commando on my minarcmig and it’s been fine for years. For lower settings I use it with a 13 amp adapter with no issues. A 32 amp will be fine.

Windy Miller and danman like this.
  7. danman Member

lincolnshire
    Thanks lads,its on the 32A,all good

8. EBME2 Member

Just need to be a bit careful if the mains lead on the Kemppi isn’t rated at 32A you could end up melting the cable before the circuit breaker pops in the unlikely event of a fault. Mains lead looks a bit thin from the photo to me to be 32A rated. Shuko plugs are rated at 16A and the cable looks more like 16A rated than 32A.

I would consider fusing at 16A, the rating plate on the back should help.

Kent likes this.
  9. Richard.

Richard. Member

Just a question because this isn’t my field of expertise
    If there was a fault, why would the breaker size have any relevance to the breaker tripping.
    If he’s got rcd or rcbo protection on that supply then I’d of thought he’d be ok and more than covered if a fault develops cabable of melting the cable.

10. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

RCD's ONLY sense earth fault current! If a dead short were to happen it would melt before it tripped.
    RCBO's sense both earth fault and over current but if it's an overload on the wrong size breaker it will still cause damage / melt / catch fire....

Hopefuldave and Richard. like this.
  11. Richard.

Richard. Member

Would down sizing the breaker avoid this

12. Matrixx

Matrixx Member

The breaker/fuse should be sized for the cable rating, you can have a breaker smaller than the cable rating but not larger. if the machine develops a fault it should trip the internal fuse if it has one.

dobbslc likes this.
  13. brightspark

brightspark Member

rcd would trip with a earth leakage fault of either 30 milliamp or a 100milliamp depending on which u use. a minature circuit breaker will break at what ever its rating is if there is a short circuit or overload. the welder should have a data plate on it showing its input current rating and the mcb should correspond . a 30 amp supply supposed to have a 4.0mm cable but ive noticed a lot of machines seem to have a thinner lead on them :dontknow:

Richard., dobbslc and Matrixx like this.
  14. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Yes, a smaller mcb of 16A would do looking at the welder cable flex size. :D
    When is someone going to make a Commmando style plug with a fuse in it???:dontknow:

brightspark and Richard. like this.
  15. Jlg

Jlg Member

What's the point it would only get a mig tip shoved in it

dobbslc likes this.
  16. brightspark

brightspark Member

according to the kempi spec it requires a 16 amp slow blow fuse. you will probably need a 16amp c type mcb try that 1st and if its giving bother probs have to increase it to a 20 amp . it s not recommended to use a d type on domestic supply

Richard. and dobbslc like this.
  17. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I fitted a Schuko adaptor to my Minarc 180. You just drop the original plug in and screw the top on job done.

18. Kent

Kent Member

Generally I chop the spied off, fit a 16 amp and also make up a 16-13amp and 16-32 as commando type.
    I don't believe in putting a 32 amp on is clever but it can get you out of a tight spot

Carry a mess of 13amp plug fuses because it does happen when your on the small comado

19. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

"Generally":scared: in the event of a short/fault the breaker will trip regardless of rating, to melt the cable requires a load over the cable rating but lower than the breaker rating for a continued prolong time.

Matrixx and Richard. like this.
Advertisements