Which 2WD pickup

1. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    Ill soon be looking for a 2WD pickup to use for a few months to a year for house renovation work. I’m looking for something simple, solid, reliable, decent payload, fairly low for loading rubble from a wheelbarrow and that I can move on easily when I’ve finished with it. Don’t need loads of power or flashy stuff and definitely no 4WD.
    Suggestions please!

2. mr haynes Member

Transit tipper/flatbed? 10 a penny and no pickup premium

3. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

Sounds to me like you want the cheapest pickup you can find that works with 12 months MOT and good tyres.

Or if you have a soutable towing vehicle would something like an ifor Williams tipping trailer not be better, then no extra tax insurance required and they hold their value.

MaartenNL, Shedendman and waddycall like this.
  4. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I'd agree most pick up beds are a good bit higher than a trailer, and 2wd pickups are like hens teeth and are generally silly money especially vw caddies and the skoda version

waddycall and stuvy like this.
  5. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Why not buy a van?

waddycall and stuvy like this.
  6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    One thing to be aware of is most tips will not allow commercial vehicles unless you are paying. Personally I would buy a cheap van, means you can carry boards and other stuff and also acts as temporary storage. If you are paying at the tip it will be based on weight so keeping stuff dry is a good idea

In my opinion if you can buy something for a few hundred quid with a valid ticket then you can scrap it or sell it cheap after.

waddycall likes this.
  7. stuvy

stuvy Member

@armalites is bang on there you can use a commercial vehicle in the tips but you need a permit

if it was my money it would be a transit as there cheap to buy, run and hold there money

Shedendman and waddycall like this.
  8. Melvyn Best Member

Mazda 2wd any good?

stuvy and waddycall like this.
  9. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    I have a company van for work. The reason for wanting a pickup is that we will be needing to move a lot of rubble (old render etc.) and have someone keen to take it off our hands.
    This will be done on evenings and weekend so I don’t want to be unloading all my heating engineering stuff from the work van every time I want to move/collect stuff.
    We also have limited parking for two vehicles and no room to store a trailer. I can easily keep a pickup on the road when it’s not being used.
    I’d like to make the process as painless as possible as I’m a lazy sod. A smallish pickup which can carry a lot and I can move on after without losing much is really what I’m after. Used to have a Mazda b2200 20 years ago. Something like that would be perfect but I’ve no idea about common issues with anything newer.

outofthefire likes this.
  10. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    A smallish pickup which can carry a lot,hummmmmmmm,like this?
    [​IMG]
    One care full owner:laughing:
    If you find a b2200 in good nick you've hit the jackpot,chances are like rocking horse poo though:whistle:
    Me,i'd get a transit Mk5-6 pickup,tipper if pos as you stated "lazy sod",plus have a good resale,BUT not small:(
    Smallish
    Ford Ranger single cab?
    Hilux? costly
    Caddies carry nothing so loads of trips
    Budget?

stuvy likes this.
  11. R-D-R Forum Supporter

We ended up using a trailer for renovation work after checking with the local refuse site. If I took rubble in a lorry or pickup they would restrict but a couple of trailer loads a week of the same would be fine :dontknow:

stuvy likes this.
  12. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    Down here you have to pay for rubble no matter what it’s carried in. You just need a permit for a commercial vehicle limiting you to 12 trips year. That’s no issue though as a farmer I know wants all the rubble he can get!

Shedendman likes this.
  13. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Nissan Cabstar...ime on my 5th one but it must be a full fat Nissan and pre 2000 (hard to find now) before Renault came along and ruined them with bad engines,gearboxes and axles:(

14. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

that sounds like a Ford P100 pickup you are after. shame they don't make then any longer :(

stuvy likes this.
  15. stuvy

stuvy Member

the under cab wheel boxes rot like hell Iv repaired a few of the new ones dynas I think they call them

16. JEZGUZ

JEZGUZ Member

West Midlands UK
    Toyota did a 2wd low bed pickup, I had one but haven't seen one for a while. Ford Ranger ?

17. roofman

yea the Dynas are Toyota which are bullet proof mechanically but like any jap stuff you need to be on top of the metal cancer.

stuvy and Shedendman like this.
  18. arther dailey Member

cabstar or dyna if you can find half decent one

stuvy, roofman and Shedendman like this.
  19. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    You might get one in king solomons mines if your lucky:laughing:
    Few yrs back i was ask to restore one,86 cortina shape,had it in and did a total strip naked of it,project fell to the ground after 2 weeks,so much work involved it was never going to get back to what it was,i walked away,was sent a photo of it few day later,it was getting crushed:(

20. roofman

some people restore classic cars..i restore Cabstars:D

• cabstar pre paint 7.JPG
    • cabstar pre paint3.JPG
    • cabstar body.JPG
    • cabstar pre paint2.JPG
    • cabstar drivers door.JPG
    Parm, Beeezer, sg66 and 8 others like this.
Advertisements