Where do you take your scrap metal

1. Learning the Trade

Learning the Trade New Member

I have found 2 fairly local steel merchants nearby.
    Just wondering.
    Where do you take any scrap metal left over,
    Ideally would be looking to use the cash back to put into purchasing further materials.

Where I work, we stash scrap and someone collects it wkly.
    I presume no money is lost to the company I’m with,
    And the cash back is put into the business.

How does one go about not losing monies whilst purchasing their steel.
    I’m looking to weld on home grounds.

2. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

I find i use everything i buy new or old and never take any scrap into yards and ime sure the fellow hobbyist must be the same:dontknow:

skotl, eLuSiVeMiTe, bigegg and 2 others like this.
  3. Domdom Member

I buy metal from the local tat man. Whatever I have from him I get for peanuts. Got an old bed frame this week for 3 quid and it’s got enough angle steel in it to make a trolley I need. He just come to my house on his rounds and I have a root through his wagon. Cheaper than the scrap bin at the local steel stockholders.

4. Ruffian Member

Got a decent deal with a local fabricator. I can buy as little as an inch or a tonne and he looks after me for new material

Lets me freely go through his scrap bins for stock and my scrap goes into his scrap bins to return the favours.

5. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I took my last lot of scrap metal to a local merchant

Learning the Trade likes this.
  6. optima21 Forum Supporter

for me the scrap goes to the council waste tip at the end of the road. for me its more convenient than going to a scrap dealer, I dont throw much away though and I dont have any photo id, which I believe you need to sell scrap to the scrapman.

7. jimbo84 Member

The price is that low for non ferrous I doubt you'll notice anything to put towards your new stuff, just hang on to your offcuts, they come in far more useful than the few quid from the scrappers. I rarely take anything to the scrappers but I'm in there a lot, usually buying off them :D

8. Chillitt Member

I chuck it on the pile down the garden til the scrap price goes up a bit.

9. hareng Member

Same here work with a lot of aluminium and not worth recycling or building up enough to take in to the scrap man, all goes in grey bin.

10. premmington

premmington Member

I never dump any short lengths of steel - or odd bits of plate.

I get a real sense of achievement - when I make something new - out of off cuts for nothing. :clapping:

11. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Ditto. - I have a box labelled "Bits too small to keep"

12. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Have the same @Wight durn things to heavy to move now though :whistle:

13. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

And down the sides, in the sheds, by the house.

14. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

Me?
    I pile it up on the patio. Separated into bags of the different type.
    Then weigh it in.

15. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

l’ve just sat a skip out the front of my house, having a big clear out, skip was nearly full, a vn pulls up and takes all the steel off cuts and metal junk, paint tins, wire, anything electrical, or electronic...... skip is half the man it was, but looks fuller now as all my carefully jig-sawed together junk is now flipped all over the place.

They did pick up any little bits they dropped on the drive and tidied them all back into the skip though.

5 pm today I threw a flash looking surround sound system on top (it doesn’t sound any better than the tv it was connected to) then I walked the dog, two hours later it’s gone as well.

No, not the dog......

16. CompoSimmonite Member

I never have a lot but put any at the top of the drive and it miraculously disappears

17. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    That's illegal, or are you not bothered enough to report them?

We tend to have a lot of properly useless steel on the farm, old rusted out stuff. With the price of mixed metal being so low, it's much easier to let one of the local scrap merchants come round whenever he wants and just take it.

18. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Dumpster diving is illegal? Makes more room in the skip for me, saves some junk going to land fill. What’s not to like? :dontknow:

No scrap man is going to send a truck round for the few Kg of scrap I threw out,

mtt.tr, roofman, barking mat and 2 others like this.
  19. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

too posh round here, I put out a very small pile of bits, allot water tank from a caravan water heater, couple of alarm batteries, etc. not enough to take anywhere, still there a month later, brought it back in, my mate who has closed his repair business has filled two scrap transits with scrap, now cannot find anyone to hiab them away as the steel price is so low...…..

20. cheb Forum Supporter

Mine goes to the local welder in return for picking through his heaps.

Taking stuff from skips without permission is theft, just because somebody wants rid of something doesn't mean it's not owned by anyone. A couple of mates were prosecuted for taking the batteries out of the council skips up here. Me, I'll always ask if I can take stuff out of the tip skips, not been refused yet.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
Advertisements