What’s your favorite wire?

1. Jetemp New Member

Hi all

Which wire do people get on best with. Both in mild Steele and also flux core as I would like to try a roll!
    I’ve always used whatever is in my local boc shop!
    Perhaps there are better wire out there! Used in a farm workshop for general ag fabrication and running repairs!

Would be interest to hear every one else’s opinion on there favorite wire and check I’m not missing a trick!

James

2. Jlg

Jlg Member

Lincoln or airliquid

3. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Lincoln or EWM.

The_Yellow_Ardvark likes this.
  4. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Lincoln whenever possible.

5. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Lincoln supramig at the moment, very pleased with performance. Current reel is about finished and have 5kg of ESAB wire that came with my welder to try next will be interesting comparison.

6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, James :waving:

7. Arclikeharrypotter Member

ESAB GS3I as good if not better than Lincoln imo, also easier for me to get hold of.

8. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Lincoln Supramig SG3 1.2mm. We use pallets of the stuff, and have done for the last 4-5 years. Never had a bad spool.
    'Problem' wires IMO have nothing to do with the wire composition - it is down to how they are wound on the spool.

Richard., gav0994, TechnicAl and 3 others like this.
  9. Kent

Kent Member

I like Esab. Don't really like plastic spools , can't tie off easy when swapping and the metal ones are better for lead wraps.

I find it runs better for me though by rights should be no different with Lincoln that I have also used - so it might just be in my head

Richard. and Brad93 like this.
  10. owas

owas Member

we go through a pallet a week, been using ESAB for years which was great.

now theyve started using super 6 instead :(

11. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

I claim no great experience in normal MIG wires, but I'm happy so far with the SIF wire I bought recently.

Hope you've got plenty of hair left, 'cos if it's anything like their gasless rubbish, you'll be tearing it out.

Richard. and gaz1 like this.
  12. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Not being a professional miggist I cant say I have noticed a difference in weld quality between the various brands.There is certainly a big difference between the way they are wound onto the reels and the quality of the reels, had a few cheapo rolls that were knotted and some where the reels allowed wire down the side which jammed. I go for BOC or Esab if given the choice.

Bob

13. owas

owas Member

the arc seems a little more violent and theres sections of the rolls that dont seem to want to feed properly, so i manually pull a load out untill it does

but hey .. theyre cheaper.

14. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Bohler is good now....:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:...........but I dont think its available outside of Germany

(insider knowledge needed)

15. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

16. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Not sure its the same stuff........its quite complex......Bohler UK have a degree of autonomy from their German mother company (where I was working for the past few years)......I think they buy some of their wire from Turkey............The Bohler factory in Hamm makes a lot of grades of wire, mild steel being quite a small percentage of their output.

17. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

I only MIG Aluminium, well I suppose technically that is all anyone actually MIG welds ;)
    I have used Super6 5356, Esab 5356, 5183 and EWM 5183 and to be honest there is not a massive difference between them in the finished weld and it is more the smoothness of the spray that I see the most difference. The EWM does seem to be slightly better on my EWM welder, the Esab next and the Super6 last but the difference is not massive.
    My local place usually has Super6 and Esab so I go for the Esab which in reality is actually cheaper than the Super6 as it is 7Kg as opposed to the Super6 6Kg and only £4 more.

I have heard bad things here about the Super6 steel wires but as said the Alu seems fine.

18. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Aah, not as simple as I naively thought - my apologies.

I'm newish to MIG welding but do fully appreciate the nuances of buying the right tool or consumables - I'm anal when it comes to abrasives for woodturning...

19. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

You dont always "see" the difference in Ally wires..........X rays do though.......have you heard the term "shaved" wire?......this refers to surface treatment to remove surface contaminats that cause porosity...sometimes only visible on a graph

Brad93 and gordon stephenson like this.
  20. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

I have some flux core Bohler 317 (I think) got from a localish place that were throwing it out as the job was finished and they don't carry over part used rolls to other jobs. Not tried it yet, keep meaning to but just never had the chance, I am told it is excellent though so time will tell if I am any good.

Advertisements