What welding helmet are you's all using

1. CT85 Member

What welding hoods are all you's lads wearing for full time welding was looking at the optrel E684 it's a bit steep but I'd be using it everyday so in the long run it ain't that dear and I don't mind paying for quailty for something I'll be using everyday anyone any experience with this helmet and anyone recommend any other welding helmets for mig and tig??

2. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Have the 684 love it

Davidcardiff and CT85 like this.
  3. Jlg

Jlg Member

I have a addflo speedglass 9100xfx

CT85 likes this.
  4. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

I have an E684 and it is brilliant but I now also have a Panoramaxx and it is even better, which I didn't think could be possible as the E684 is such a nice lid.

CT85 likes this.
  5. Ed. Member

Miller Digital Elite, can't fault it, don't know how it compares with others as it is the first decent auto helmet I bought and used, my very first auto was a cheap E-bay one which was a piece of crap which lasted till the Miller arrived from overseas and then binned it, the Miller is still going strong after 6+ years and numerous drops on to the concrete. A bit pricey though, then again most of the name brands are. There are most likely quite a few good cheaper units out there now that will do the same thing though as the technology has been around for quite a while.

CT85 likes this.
  6. Ruffian Member

Got 2 speedglas 9100xx,

One lives at work and one at home,
    Good lid but is a bit weighty and is old tech now, (8-10 years old)

Do come up for good prices now if keep your eyes open.

CT85 likes this.
  7. davidjohnperry a different breed

Using
    Speedglas 9001 XX
    Prota shell flip front passive
    3m 100 v auto darkening hood
    Esab globe arc welding hood
    Old school boc fixed shade hood
    And dad's 9001 X if I work down with him and was supposed to be no welding today.
    Got a lot of masks I use pretty much all the time depending on job and if I remember them

CT85 likes this.
  8. Turbo Member

I started with a cheap ebay Chinese auto mask which I thought was ok then I bought a second hand Miller Digital Elite & the difference was amazing, I can actually see what I'm welding now!
    Before I used this mask I would never consider spending £200 on a mask, the amount of welding I do wouldn't justify it but if this one ever stops working I would consider buying another!

CT85 likes this.
  9. Stingray Member

Fibremetal Pipeliner, Only Welding Screen I’d ever use!

zeppelin builder and CT85 like this.
  10. spencer 427 Member

I use the esab aristo tec HD . Nice bit of kit.

CT85 likes this.
  11. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Jackson trusight-2 for tig
    Esab Sentinel A50 for mig and stick
    Prota-shell fullsize with an aulektro gold shade 10 and an adflo conversion
    Optrel solarmatic comfort with an aulektro gold shade 10 conversion as the auto cartridge failed - backup tig lid
    Murex handheld for little stick/mig jobs, again with an aulektro gold shade 10
    Optrel weldcap for working under cars

CT85 and davidjohnperry like this.
  12. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Esab new tech 6-13 xL
    Miller digital infinity

CT85 likes this.
  13. CT85 Member

Used to have the esab warrior didn't mind it it was dead on for the mig welding I was doing had a Jackson air fed rig that had a flip up lit for grinding can't mind the model but didn't like it at all wouldn't tale one for free, I still have my first welding hood the cheapy one with a shade 10 glass in it and still use it lol to be honest for mig and stick welding it's hard to beat the clarity of the shade 10 well for my eyes anyway lol, so far I'm thinking optrel E684
    Optrel panoramax
    Optrel 2.5
    Speedglas 9002nc
    Esab sentinel
    Haven't really looked into the Miller are Lincoln brands yet ino Jackson do a mask that seems to be a big thing in America Jackson BH3 I think it's called some many option lol. Anyone any experience with the speedglas 9002nc true colour??

14. CT85 Member

What you think of the esab sentinel pros and cons??

15. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

For the money you cannot better the sentinel. I’ve seen em for less than £200
    They are excellent masks.
    Only con imo cannot be adjusted with a glove on. It’s touch screen panel like a smart phone and it needs a bare finger.
    Pros it’s very clear indeed and it’s got the best weight distribution I’ve ever used from a mask. I don’t like the amber lens mind. I prefer the clear one.

CT85 likes this.
  16. Turbo Member

I've just noticed your location, have you been to McIntyres at Dungannon? They keep a decent range of welding gear though a lot of their stuff seems to be Jefferson which is the better quality Chinese sourced stuff.

I suggest you go somewhere & try a few masks as one mask will not suit everyone. You wouldn't pay £200 for a suit you never tried on for size, the same will go for a mask.

If you want a really good welder supplies go to Modern Machinery Supplies near Lisburn. Your eyes will be on stalks & you will leave a trail of drool around the shop - I know I did! They stock full range of welders from Sip to Kempii, consumables, etc. I've never seen so many varieties of stick & tig welding rods for sale in any shop!

17. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Pros are it has fantastic headgear and optics with a great colour reproduction. Cons are you can't adjust the settings without taking your gloves off.

The optics and colour are every bit as good as a fixed gold lens in my experience.

Regarding the Jackson bh3 (the yellow one), it is a great lid. The optics are made by balder in Europe and are the same as my trusight-2 and the esab new-tech xl

CT85, KemppiFrog and Richard. like this.
  18. fire hazzard Member

birmingham uk
    trusty old esab eyetech II mated to 3M versaflo air pack, the esab sentinel is a amazing piece of kit it makes my eyetech look like an old fixed shade hand shield.

CT85 likes this.
  19. northwest

northwest Member

Hugh, very interested to see you like the Jackson for Tig. Since getting all set up for Tig I have decided that I really like Tig welding and though I bought the very best Welder I could afford I skimped a bit on the helmet. Since then I have been looking at a couple of different Lids and had narrowed it down to the Optrel 2.5 and the Esab Sentinel. I do very low amperage close up work usually and need a magnifying lens in the Helmet. I bought one of the generic magnifying lenses but they are not aspheric (this means they magnify equally across the lens without distortion at the edges). I am going to try one of my Zeiss lenses in my helmet tomorrow and then probably (if it works) get one especially just for the helmet so it is important that the helmet takes a magnifying lens, whichever lid it is that I end up getting. Why the Jackson though Hugh - for Tig I mean? What I am looking for is a really, really good Tig lid that is comfortable and has excellent vision and clarity - aren't we all!
    Thanks.

20. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Hugh has the Jackson true sight w70. This is the version only available in USA.
    I totally get why he has kept that for tig.
    1 the optics are amazing and viewing area huge but I’d guess the main reason is front cover lenses are an import from the states jobby. You don’t wanna be messing them up with spatter if you can help it.

Advertisements