What precautions for a rookie

1. Riot van New Member

Hi I'm wanting to learn to Mig weld I've bought a second hand Clarke turbo Mig welder. What precautions should I take to start up?

My ideas were to do the following
    1. Replace earth return wire and clamp on the welder
    2. Buy an auto dimming mask, gauntlets and overalls.
    3. Purchase a co2 fire extinguisher

Is there anything else I should do? I've heard about the potential to be electrocuted whilst welding how does one avoid this? Wil I be OK as long as the earth wire is secured to the bench or workpiece and in good condition?

Anything else I should be doing?
    Cheers

davidjohnperry likes this.
  2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    electrocution whilst welding is unlikely unless you are welding in the rain in a puddle not much fun

make sure flammable dust is cleared away such as sawdust
    and the angle grinder enjoys making fires

SteScouse, skotl, 8ob and 1 other person like this.
  3. stuvy

stuvy Member

Keep brake cleaner away from where you weld

Hold the grinder as tight as possible in both hands and use the guard it’s there for a reason

Don’t be frightened of it, if there some one in your area ask for tuition offer a lunch for the training. If not look at a college course

Post pictures and expect honest feedback

Gragson, atomant48, 8ob and 2 others like this.
  4. barking mat

barking mat Member

And no batteries on charge! Car batteries I mean.

They will go bang, covering you in acid.

Been there, learnt that one, first welding experience in mates garage.

Wany, SteScouse, 8ob and 3 others like this.
  5. bourbon Member

as you can read, It's not so much the welder that is the problem. Usually the sparks don't travel too far. However, has been said, An angle grinder has the potential to throw sparks a lot further and they do tend to set fire to your crotch if you aren't careful

8ob likes this.
  6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

welder not really a problem its getting whats needed is the problem

wear eye mask and also a mouth mask go cheap if you want or buy a decent one like i have done then can wear with glasses o

SteScouse, barking mat and 8ob like this.
  7. hotponyshoes Member

Stop welding and cutting/grinding an hour before you leave the workshop.
    Hang the key for the workshop on the gas bottle so you dont forget to turn it off before you leave.

Bbe555, Gragson, slim_boy_fat and 5 others like this.
  8. Riot van New Member

What do you mean by mouth mask? Is it required to wear a respirator when welding? I already have one but it's a full face mask that probably wont fit under the welding mask

Also my welder is a no gas welder I know it won't do the cleanest welds but I guess its OK go learn on since it was inexpensive

9. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

10. You will forever be blaming yourself for poor welds. Upgrade it to full gas and you will be amazed at what you can do. Even more when you can afford a decent machine. I did OK with my Clarke 150TE but boy, did my quality ever improve with the R-Tech 180?

Wany, barking mat and stuvy like this.
  11. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Overalls are ok but they still combust especially with grinders they are an invention of Vulcan!!, more fires from them than welders.
    Fleeces burn really well have a couple with large holes, I also have a large selection of colander socks :D cotton usually only goes to holes, I bought a cheap cheap leather coat from charity shop,. gloves are a good thing as well.
    I see people welding with bare arms & legs etc, I burn it is not sensible
    A half tidy auto mask, Look at what Weldaquip sells helps to keep site going.
    We are mostly friendly & helpful here, they might take the proverbial but all in the best of taste, suggestions as to improvement are usually given by people who have more experience than mos of us will ever get & have been working for manufacturers in tech departments\ demonstrators, others with years of on the ground knowledge.
    PS don't leave rags on bench:thumbup:

davidjohnperry, stuvy and mtt.tr like this.
  12. bourbon Member

13. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

@gaz1 is spot on re getting PPE sorted as a priority

Safety specs are £2 or so at Screwfix and Toolstation

I've tried all 3 of the most readily available respirators. IMO the JSP Force 8 is the best, cheapest replacement filters too

Fits under hood ok

stuvy likes this.
  14. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

Re gas i went with BOC but have hardly used any in the scheme of things so my first bottle will go into a second years rental

Thats mostly down to having to weld outdoors and gas MIG vulnerable to wind

Very nesrly got half of my garage set up now but its took me ages. So unless workspace indoors is available consider gas thats not on rental, likes of Hobbyweld

15. Riot van New Member

My machine is a Clarke 100 I'm not sure if it can be upgraded to gas but I will learn on it for now if I start doing lots of welding I will possibly upgrade to a more expensive gas welder.

Also I'm doing this in my garage at home does one need special insurance or a lice se to have pressurised gas bottles?

16. bourbon Member

No licence is required for small amounts of gas

17. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

insurance might be an issue for the garage

info for fire brigade is important inform them of the gas bottle if you have an issue

18. jordan1 Member

Try some Lincoln NR-211-MP.035 flux cored wire with a knurled 1.00 feed wheel, you will be amazed at the difference it makes. Gas is better but this is the next best thing to improve your welding.;)

19. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

He's quite right - it's top of the gas-less pile!

CJ

20. Ed B

Ed B Member

As well as a fire extinguisher I have a fire blanket in my garage. Cheap as chips, does not go out of date and easier to use on small fires than messing around with the fire extinguisher

Advertisements