What Mig to get ,

1. image.png Hi guys , fancy a new welder going to be welding car body nothing to heavy ,got my eye on this is it any good for what I need ,any advise much appreciated ,

2. Ruffian Member

For that money look at the r-tech 160amp mig.
    UK company with backup and Warrenty for a bit of piece of mind.
    If you keep an eye on there Web site sometimes have ex display ones dis counted.

doubleboost and pauliil1948 like this.
  3. Thanks will have a look

4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

The seller is:

YQX ELECTRONICS
    xiong yong

Which to me suggests they are just the usual Chinese box shifter stuff with limited time period on backup or spares, possibly also problems returning under any warranty.

Forget ebay and buy from a known UK dealer/supplier.

pauliil1948 likes this.
  5. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

I've recently had the parweld Xte 181 I mostly play around with car body work and it seems to work well, not that I know that much though

pauliil1948 likes this.
  6. Vaughan Thomas New Member

I looked at that and to be fair it seemed ok but I noticed on the MIG seeing the lowest it would go is 50amps which from what I've read on here and remember maybe a bit high?

pauliil1948 likes this.
  7. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

Maybe a little bit but I've been welding 0.9mm sheet ok on the lowest setting. Works well for the price

pauliil1948 likes this.
  8. I have an rtech 180 and they are brilliant. So smooth to set up and use

pauliil1948 and doubleboost like this.
  9. Needs to be good on mild steel ,and body panels

10. hi guys ,posted a thread last week ,still can't decide what to get for car body work ,have been thinking about a Mig and tig together on one machine if possible going to order something tomorrow any suggestions would be great ,

11. delta9 Member

buy what you can afford mate, with regards to the gas setup/ppe etc I always fancied a gys unit though probably my next buy

i'm still using a big disposable with a pro90 mig,
    works great for my needs, i dont mig weld everyday maybe once a week for 10 mins

pauliil1948 likes this.
  12. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Duplicate threads merged.

pauliil1948 likes this.
  13. Daniel Wilkinson Member

Could always split the setup, a smallish mig and a separate Tig, ie the gys smart mig and a DC Tig circa 160 amps, Tig is probably the better option on car body work however depending on material and thickness still possible to mig.

pauliil1948 likes this.
  14. Thanks everyone for advise much appreciated ,have decided on a r-tech 180 Mig

Hood and Al Strachan like this.
  15. You won’t regret that choice

pauliil1948 likes this.
  16. Thanks mate ,will post back once I get it and use it

17. Hi guys , just practicing with new welder but already better than the sip 150 turbo mig ,I've had it for 10 years but still couldn't get the hang of it ,will put some pics up over weekend hopeing for advise tips on my welds ,one question what pressure should I have my gas set at ,here's a pic of what I want to weld marked with a x ,many thanks

• image.jpeg
    Tangledfeet likes this.
Advertisements