What do people recommend for a van sliding door lock?

1. hooblah Member

south london
    I'd like to add a bit of security to the sliding door of my transit. Ideally cheap as possible (within reason). I want it high up to stop the door being peeled from the top. There's nothing of value inside it but it's been broken into before and i'd like to prevent it, which is why I don't want to go down the expensive lock route.

I've got one of those round padlock and hasps lying around, but I don't think it would clear the sliding door. I've got one of these on the back doors though.

[​IMG]
    I've seen those rectangular ones but I hear they're easy to break into.

[​IMG]

What other options do I have?

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Slam lock or deadlocks.
    As for door peeling.
    Few bits of steel or wood affixed internally scuppers that idea .

Fitted deadlocks to mine and will do it on the next one.
    Far more convenient than the above images.
    Easy enough to fit.
    Stepped drills and a small air powered hacksaw made it a doddle

Parm and stuvy like this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Member

weld it shut if you dont need to use it

bigegg and zzr1200 like this.
  4. tlovatt Member

Rugby, UK
    If there is nothing of value in the van leave it unlocked or add a window

5. eLuSiVeMiTe

My side door may as well be. No longer working

6. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

If the back door is secure make something to lock sliding door from inside

7. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    had one of these locks some 20 yrs ago,lost the keys,lucky enough it was on the side door,so used the back,friend i knew had same setup,just for a laugh we tried his keys,bingo,it opened.
    Also tried it on other locks the same,i think out of 5-6 he tried 4 opened with the same key
    Got 2 options,make something up big thick and ugly with a quality padlock OR use nothing,because Mr thief see a door too secure will wonder,mmmmmm,i wonder what in there,nice invite;)

stuvy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. 8ob

8ob Member

Just leave a JR on the dash, you wont need to lock doors or take the keys out of the ignition :thumbup:

[​IMG]

barking mat, Pete., Parm and 9 others like this.
  9. eLuSiVeMiTe

You say that.
    Few weeks back a builders van was pinched including His Labrador
    Found dumped minus tools a few hours later.
    Dog was still on the seat

Parm, bigegg, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  10. 8ob

8ob Member

Most labs can be bought with a biscuit :laughing:

Bob

11. hooblah Member

south london
    Well there are obviously things in there, but nothing of value to anyone but me. 6 months ago some scum attempted to break in through the sliding door, never mind the door, they absolutely ruined the side of the van. And to top it off, they didn't even manage to get in! **** knows why, it was the most battered and rusty looking transit ever. Since then I've done a lot of bodywork and given it a respray. I'd like to deter them at least from trying again. And even if they do try, I don't want that door to budge.

12. sako243 Member

Fixed that your you. Trouble is mine eat them so fast you need a big supply.

8ob likes this.
  13. 8ob

8ob Member

I did a highly sophisticated canine biscuit preference test a few years ago involving my two JR`s Twostroke and Diesel, the line-up were Tunnocks ,a bourbon, a digestive and a rich tea. Diesel made a lunge for the bourbon while Twostroke did a high speed raid on the Tunnocks. They did begrudgingly eat the rich tea and digestive, so in real terms of dog bribes 1. Bourbon 2. Tunnocks 3. Digestive 4. Rich tea. So if you need to get in a van with a dog in it its best to take Bourbons :laughing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich tea came last :)

[​IMG]

14. tlovatt Member

Rugby, UK
    Leaving the van unlocked is what some of our people at work do now, I know it seems odd and wrong that you just let people sift through your van, but if there is nothing they would take they will hopefully not do any damage - although we have had one unlocked van broken into as the did not try to open the door before pealing it open from the top.

About time there was some proper punishment for the sods when they get caught.

slim_boy_fat, eLuSiVeMiTe and stuvy like this.
  15. stuvy Member

There’s a company near me the lad locked his van in the yard as it had been broken into 4 times. He got in it and drove an hour to a job opened the door and it was empty with a square hole cut in the roof

16. arther dailey Member

with battery powered pi keys two jiffys and your into anything....there in lies the problem

17. pondy

pondy Forum Supporter

I've fitted the locks in your lower picture too a couple of transit box vans we have in our fleet, if I had a transit and on the market for locks I would definitely avoid them, cheap and cheerful

eLuSiVeMiTe and stuvy like this.
  18. stuvy Member

I’d personally fit an aftermarket alarm as once the doors open the crap themselves and run away

19. eLuSiVeMiTe

Deadlocks and slam locks are there to make sure it's not a clean entry. Alarm or not if there's no sign of entry the insurance companies will shaft you

20. stuvy Member

Whilst there great the doors can still be pull open or a hole cut on the roof or side and tin snips to gain access Iv seen it a couple of times

Advertisements