What current range?

1. The Artilleryman

The Artilleryman Member

I plan to weld mainly 2mm/3mm butt and fillet welds, with the occasional job up to 5mm, what amperage should I be looking for?

Does transformer or inverter type have any effect on this?

Sorry to keep asking questions, but now have to make a decision on what to buy, a used transformer unit with plenty of amps or a new inverter unit - not sure what amperage for these.

With covid-19 around it's not so easy to get to test what each type is like.

2. hobby_machinist Member

You need around 200a but more the better. No difference between transformer or inverter weld, if you dial it in more or less it will hold. The sound while welding is different
    Transformer:
    -pulls more current
    -heavy
    -you have to play a bit to dial in the perfect settings
    -reliable and dont care about metalic dust or sparks so perfect for workshops
    Inverter:
    -pulls less current
    -lightweight
    -usualy synergic and easier to fine tune
    -cheaper ones highly "alergic" to metalic dust, high end ones not but quite expensive

Do you have 3 phase, is it for workshop or on site use, what is your budget

metalmelt likes this.
  3. Adam Marshall Member

Jasic promig 200amp are a nice machine, you can arc weld from them aswel. Around the £900 - £1000 Mark. Oh and 5 years warranty.

metalmelt likes this.
  4. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Do you want a mig or stick welder?

5. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

This is the key question :)

If it's stick, then 150 amps is well enough, you'll only ever use up to 3.2mm rods, and a good 150 amp inverter will do this comfortably.
    If it's MIG, I'd say 180 amp minimum, 200 amp preferable.

I prefer using inverters, but there are plenty good transformer machines out there. As always, you generally get what you pay for.

Adam Marshall likes this.
  6. The Artilleryman

The Artilleryman Member

Thanks for the advice, deal done, will post what I've bought when it arrives.

To answer a few of the above comments :- hobby welder, mig, 13A 15a 1 phase & 3 phase, £600 - £700 to include mask cylinder mig welder wire and any parts to refurb.

7. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

I might be selling my old ESAB Compact 160 amp mig welder, within the month its 240 volt and takes a 15KG wire spool

I purchased it new many years ago, I've just fitted a conversion for the new style mig torch socket.

I am just waiting to hear when my new mig is available for delivery...

I haven't decided on a price as yet, so dont ask.

8. The Artilleryman

The Artilleryman Member

Man and van delivered my mig welder this afternoon.

Murex Tradesmig 323, similar but older than the one I'm learning on at college.

Can't use it yet as I have to change the 4 pin commando plug for a 5 pin one (garage is wired 3p +n +e), then get a gas cylinder. Mask and regulator on there way, so hopefully by this time next week I'll be practising with my own kit.

I can hear SWMBO making a list of jobs around the house that need doing - to keep me away from my workshop :whistle:

Advertisements