What am I doing wrong?

1. Jaffman Member

Can someone help please?

See the following pictures all of which using a mix of between 40-70 amps, 10-25lpm of argon, gold or red 2.5mm tungsten sharpened to a point, and 705? Filler and 316? Filler rod travelling at varying speeds dependant on current.

They always seem to be this horrible colour and have some sort of impurities (maybe) and sometimes grow limbs when I stop. And I’m cleaning the material and filler rod with IPA before welding.

I’m a little lost as to what I’m doing wrong as I’ve played about with all of the variables and don’t seem to be getting any differing results
    CFF23B39-D64D-434D-BE25-C490C63E9486.jpeg 1B8B9554-E7F1-45D7-8368-F12D27FDCCFA.jpeg 5EEA865C-6D28-40DD-85DB-0914547B5B75.jpeg

2. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

I should wait for one of the resident tig gods to come along, but from here I would say too hot and to slow travel speed may be a gas issue but could just be the amount of heat input.

3. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Lots of things are wrong but if your learning to tig weld start on mild then you don't have the worry about the oxidizing so much . You may want to weld stainless but start on something more forgiving first.

mtt.tr likes this.
  4. Jaffman Member

Can you explain what lots of things are? Whilst I am a beginner I’ve welded stainless before with much better results but I’m just not aware of what I’m doing either right or wrong due to being a novice.

5. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine Member

What thickness is it? You want 30-40A/mm for steels.

Looks like lots of heat and little gas coverage.

6. Jaffman Member

It’s 1.5mm.

As far as the gas is concerned I’ve changed to a gas lens with no difference and like I said tried everything from 10-25lpm

7. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Gas flow may be too high, try 6-8LPM.
    Keep a tight arc.
    Looks like thin wall, maybe 1.5mm or so, I personally would be 30-40 a
    Personally I would be using a 1.6 Tungsten.
    Filler would be 1mm

ronan, Yamhon, eSCHEn and 1 other person like this.
  8. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Your gas is a little high even at your lowest setting at 25lpm you could affect the weather. Are you sure of the metal type? and matching the filler? Its hard to say without seeing you weld and what your using . Why don't you try on some mild and see how it looks.

9. anto44

anto44 Member

Looks like you're arc length might be too big. When I first moved onto stainless steel pipe I had problems with keeping the arc nice and tight as I followed the curve of the pipe and that's what the welds would look like when I let the arc get too big.
    Try doing a dry run with the torch before you start welding and make sure your hands are propped or supported in such a way that you naturally keep your torch angle and gap consistent along the weld if that makes sense

Parm, Yamhon and WorkshopChris like this.
  10. fnlvder Forum Supporter

Are you welding outside and is it windy?

Munkul and ronan like this.
  11. Jaffman Member

Tried 6-8 with no difference at 35A, using a 1.6mm tungsten- didn’t have 1mm filler but even just putting a spot turns up that blue/grey colour.

I will give it a go on mild probably tomorrow now but like I said before I’m not a complete amateur I know the basics and have done stainless before with better results. 25lpm was more of a test to see if it was the gas.

Metal type should be 304 stainless (from eBay mind so...) and like I said I’m not sure on filler rods but I think I have the numbers right in my OP. Filler rod makes no difference to end result

See above even if I spot with the welder as tight as I possibly can get without dipping the tungsten it cools to this blue/grey colour. I know what you mean I do try to keep it as tight as possible, even experimented with torch angles& stuff with no difference in end result.

It all looks fine when I’m doing it (all be it a little scruffy) then it solidifies and goes this funny colour

No I’m inside a garage

12. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Munkul, stuvy, Yamhon and 3 others like this.
  13. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Sounds like you’ve got a gas issue, maybe a leaky hose, or even a connection inside the machine.

Test with a couple of drops of fairy liquid in water around your regulator, and torch.

Munkul, Yamhon and Jaffman like this.
  14. Jaffman Member

I’ll try that gas test when I get home later to see what comes of it.

I don’t like blaming the machine as I’m sure it’s probably something I’m doing wrong but I’ve changed so many variables with the same result that it must be the machine (or the gas)

15. Jaffman Member

Ok so done the test...

Here is my torch and work piece (3mm steel)

4 second post gas 1 second ramp down

Just shy of 10lpm pure argon

B04F31C5-B19D-4208-8A30-A9933C6E07B1.jpeg

Here are my tests...

Top 2 are 50 amps then 60 amps then 70 amps EF819954-08DB-47F9-93F2-7984212761E2.jpeg

What’s the verdict?

• 26177B85-1A91-492E-966C-01F139C65705.jpeg
    • CED79806-B890-47AC-9AA5-6D2ED015E7B5.jpeg
    • 789D452F-3BA8-4B15-9048-44D1E0D9116C.jpeg
  16. DTS Member

When you say “705?” Filler do you mean you're using 70S filler?

Also if want to do anything with 1.6 you need to internally purge the tube. That bit you’ve done has sunk so far it’s pulling the Jabberwocky back in from the inside.

17. cianh91

cianh91 Member

Is it pure argon your using

18. Jaffman Member

Yes I guess it would be 70S, it’s not very clear on the rods,

And yes some of it has gone through because I think I’m going too slow due to the pretty unstable arc with higher amps.

SGS pure argon on the bottle :dontknow:

19. cianh91

cianh91 Member

I had a rent free bottle filled and got the same results before turned out bottle was filled wrong but have you any heavier stainless there

Jaffman likes this.
  20. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Yamhon and mtt.tr like this.
Advertisements