Welding mask buying advice please....

1. Tifa

Tifa Member

I currently have a auto darkening jobbie that I bought from Screwfix a few years ago.
    It's never been particularly good, but now the auto darkening is a bit hit and miss.
    Have left it out in direct sunlight to recharge...but no change.
    Also, when I used it, it was way too dark, I could hardly see the work, so had to use additional lighting to see what's was going on...seems a bit weird really.
    Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement guys.
    Hobby or part time use only.
    Obviously auto darkening, but if possible I'd like to be able to vary darkeness of shade?
    Looking for reasonable quality too.
    Budget about £120?
    Can anyone recommend anything please?
    Or am I trying to get the moon on a stick at that price?
    Cheers

2. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    parweld xr938h
    Esab warrior tech

3. Mark 2 Member

Have you tried cleaning it?

Parm likes this.
  4. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
  5. Tifa

Tifa Member

Thanks for your input Munkul, those look good mate....Mark2, I have cleaned it, but flashing like crazy..
    Waddy...I used an auto darkener belonging to a mate a few years back, it was amazing...sadly he's sold it, and cant remember its make! Really want an auto if I can get one..

Anyhoos....just found this....anyone any thoughts....seems ok for £130 ish?
    I've used their saftey glasses and they seem really well made for the £££...so...?
    https://www.bolle-safety.com/uploads/tech/59a7e237092e0.pdf

6. delta66

delta66 Member

that looks very like a parweld xr938h but more expensive.

7. Domdom Member

Out of interest, and once this rather nasty virus has gone of course, are there any welding supplies places who have a range of these things that can be tried in store? I’ve tried 3 now ranging from a 20 quid ebay special, an R-Tech 50 quid jobbie and up to someone else’s (supposedly expensive thing) the name of which escapes me. I don’t find any of them any good to be honest but I’m reluctant to buy another until I know its what works for me. And no, I cannot afford an Optrel 400 quid thing :laughing:
    Sorry for the hijack.

8. Tifa

Tifa Member

Hahahaaa......no problemo Domdom.....hijack away fella....
    It's all good!

Domdom likes this.
  9. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Explain why they are no good, then some guidance may be forth comming. But most decnt duppliers of welding equipment stock a few brands. I have 3 a 25 quid job, a 60 quid job and a miller elite. All work, they work even better if I put my glasses on.

Yamhon likes this.
  10. Domdom Member

^ well, great in grinding mode but too dark to see in welding mode would be my main complaint. If I use a solid shade 9 lens I can see as I would want to. An automatic lens on shade 9 (or anything for that matter) is just too dark. Can't see what I'm doing. What I believe to be the case is that many of these automatic units are all pretty much based on cheap chinesium units which have no discernible difference between shade 9 and shade 13. They switch quickly enough though.
    I just want something that lets me see better I guess.

11. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Well, up one level of quality to the £60-£80 range and that's what you'll get - something with decent shade control that should last a good while.

Up a quality level again to £200ish and you'll get superb clarity and true colour, stuff like Viking 3350 and Esab A50.

Domdom likes this.
  12. Tifa

Tifa Member

FWIW...I just pulled the trigger on the Bolle Fusion Plus... £110 ebay, .....maxed out my price range on it, lol....so no regrets if it isn't quite good enough...Will report back to base once I've had time to have a play.
    Thanks for all of your input...greatly appreciated!

Domdom likes this.
  13. Domdom Member

Yep, I get that’s what ought to happen, but my question was about places that have demo units etc to try before buying. Happy to spend the money, probably 200 shekels would be OK but at that point I want to 100% know before I part with the lolly.

14. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Go to your local welding supplier.....most will beable to let you try before you buy

15. Yamhon Member

There should be a discernable difference between the shades. When I'm finding everything is too dark, sometimes its because I've inadvertently knocked the shade selector knob and changed the shade setting without realising.

16. Tifa

Tifa Member

65DE4B93-0D8B-427F-A124-DC3322D5CE83.jpeg Well...it’s been delivered and tested
    It’s a thing of loveliness in comparison with the outgoing mask.
    The variable shading works well...and I can actually see what’s going on around the puddle!
    WhooooHooo!!!!!
    Chuffed!!!

Yamhon likes this.
  17. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    excellent result :) Bolle make great safety glasses, visors and googles etc so if the helmet is up to their usual quality standards... looks like a nice bit of kit anyway!

Yamhon likes this.
Advertisements