welding license

1. daz Member

hi im new to welding, i just got given a mig welder by my father and have started to teach myself and this site is very helpful but i ave a problem i hope you can help with
    i have been told that i can only get gas if i have a license and an account with a gas company but i doubt i will be doing enough to justify the costs
    is this true

at the moment i am using co2 that my dad can get from pub landlords that he knows he just takes the bottle in when ever it runs out hands over a few quid and takes a full bottle, this is fine for now but when i get better i have a few projects i would like to tackle using stainless steel and from the information i have found on here co2 will be no good for stainless

if my first question is true how could i get other gases and how long do the little halfords bottles last

2. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

In the UK you don't need a licence for shielding gas cylinders. Although a BOC account is about £50 per year and £30 for each bottle. If cost is a worry I'd be inclined to stick with CO2. For mild steel the welds aren't quite so neat and a bit spattery but still perfectly strong. (Did you see the welding gas comparison)?

It wouldn't be perfect on stainless - I think there is a danger of getting a bit of carbon into the metal which could cause surface rusting. If it's an exhaust system I probably wouldn't worry.

The little bottles from Halfords last for up to 1 metre of weld. It's easy to get through a few in an afternoon, so they aren't really a good alternative to BOC unless you only have a tiny amount of welding.

3. daz Member

the price of a boc account dont seem to bad
    i was told 50-60 per month for the bottles and 30 per refil, so 50 a year is a great improvment,but for know i will stick with co2 cause my dad gets it for about 10 a bottle and they are big bottles past my waist in height
    but thanks for the info its good to know that when i start on stainless that it aint as expensive as i thought

4. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    I'm sure the bottles I use last longer than that, are we talking about the same thing Malcolm? You've seen what I'm using.
    Admittedly, it's difficult to say now I have a gas valve that works but that still seems very short and suddenly has me worried.

Regards
    Rob

5. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

If the Halfords bottles hold 60 litres and you are using gas at a rate of 10 litres per minute then that's 6 minutes weld time.

Although with stopping to let things cool down, angle grinding and fabrication, it'd probably end up enough for a weekends welding.

6. Highway_Star

Highway_Star Member

Fife, Scotland
    I've ditched the Helfrauds bottles, and now get them from Machine Mart. They are a couple of quid more, but are filled to 110 litres, not 60. Still not ideal, but better.

Advertisements