welding birmabright ally

1. kernowcam Member

South West uk
    hi
    i am restoring an old land rover. the body panels are aluminium birmabright. Any advice on what i can do with the stress cracks where typically the panel is bent and fractured? Would changing my mig to aluminium wire and argon? gas do the trick or am i wasting my time??? the panels are obviously thin admy welding skills need improving. thoughts on a post card please. ian

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Not sure about miging birmabright... its an alloy of aluminium and magnesium, much the same, but it does make a difference for welding as the birmabright work hardens and cracks easier.
    I can tell you mag/alu alloys are easily tig welded and gas welded.
    For a thin guage sheet like a panel just use pure argon...(if it were anything realy serious you use an argon/helium mix)
    Im not sure on the magnesium content of birmabright, if it is high (above say 5% Mag.) you should use a filler wire with the same makeup as the base metal.

3. kernowcam Member

South West uk
    thanks for that.
    i only have a mig!!
    i undertand from the land rover maunal that they suggest gas welding the stuff and filler is easily found from scrappanels. only one problem i have never toughed a gas set.
    im in plymouth tomorrow funnily enough.
    looking for a s/h 2 gauge co2 reg.
    regards
    ian

4. Hitch

Somerset
    Dunno about a secondhand one, but theres loads of places to get a new one :lol:
    BOC in Cattedown, Wellington Welding in Cattedown Wharfes, Parkins Industrial Supplies (MST) on Lee Mill industial estate....

I take it you only have a single stage regulator at the moment then?

5. Hitch

Somerset
    Filler is a term use for the welding wire used Ian, not patches.
    Should have said filler wire! :)

6. kernowcam Member

South West uk
    assuming boc will be expensive.
    already have a boc argon reg but frustratingly it has a male bullnose connector not the female co2!! shame
    the new co2 regs usually fit co2 and come with an argon adaptor
    ian

7. Hitch

Somerset
    Ian, what do you use your co2 for? could you use a ar/c02 mix? just have the 1 reg?

8. kernowcam Member

South West uk
    using co2 for general mils welding at home.
    I used to have a boc cylinder but decided due to lack of use and onging costs per year for a cylinder that was not being used to ditch them. Hence co2 option with 'pub gas' or buy own co2 5kg cly from perranporth for £56 (5KGS) and £7 per refill. Would last for ages and no ongoing costs.

Advertisements