Welding Beginner - Friends & Courses Wanted in Gloucestershire!

1. greengills New Member

Hi all,

I am pretty much new to welding, I have had a go with a friends machine a long time back which got me interested but never had anything I needed to weld to keep me interested.

Now I have a couple of project vehicles, a 4x4 and a campervan which need welding work doing to them and rather than just pay somebody to do it I thought I would try and pick up the craft myself!

I am looking for a beginners automotive welding course, I am based in Gloucestershire so if anybody knows of anything or anybody on here fancies giving a beginner some basic lessons then please let me know :)

2. Cyberprog Member

I'm right on the border (edge of South Glos) but never done a course :)

greengills likes this.
  3. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I'm in Gloucestershire (Dursley), but I don't do MIG Welding. I did a good Cirencester college 1 day course that covered Arc, MIG, Oxy-Acetylene and Plasma cutting. I was mostly interested in TIG (which wasn't covered) as that's what I've got; I just couldn't find an affordable local TIG course and figured that the practice in other weld types might be useful.

Bristol college do a MIG evening course & Gloucester do a pick-your-process course, but the Gloucester one is eye-wateringly expensive. I can't comment on either.

duncans, Wany and greengills like this.
  4. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Welcome to the forum, you don’t say whereabouts in Glos you are, there may be someone local that can point you in the right direction to get you started. Stroud college used to do courses, but I don’t think they do now. When you get going, keep us posted, photos in the project section are good, there is always someone that’s done it before & can help & advise.

greengills likes this.
  5. ukracer Forum Supporter

Speak to R Tech they used to do courses a long time ago I think. I am sure they would like the opportunity to try to sell you a new welder in the future. They can always say no and perhaps point you in the right direction!

6. greengills New Member

There is a course at the agricultural college starting next month which I think I will sign myself up to. In the meantime I have been assessing the rust situation on my 4x4 project to try and see how far the rot goes. I will start a project log and upload some photos to get started.

Got a few nights ahead of me reading through the forum and working out a plan, buy myself a welder should probably be high up on the list, hopefully once I am ready to start I could tempt somebody local to come and give me a hand in exchange for some cash and karma :)

The weather is not helping things, could do with a garage / workshop to keep warm!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    slim_boy_fat and Dr.Al like this.
  7. ukracer Forum Supporter

Do yourself a favour and check out Doubleboost on you tube. Down to earth and welds all sorts.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Red'n'Black

Red'n'Black Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard. I'm near Tewkesbury but nowhere near competent enough to be giving lessons, it'd be the blind leading the blind!

Starting out on car bodywork, outside, in January, is exactly what I did 25-odd years ago, it's a very steep learning curve. The one thing that helped was the first piece I tried to patch was the driver's door, which I could at least take off and work on inside.

It also helped that the MIG machine was a rented professional-grade one, I forget what make now. If I'd done the above with the SIP I have now I would have given up I think.

greengills likes this.
  9. greengills New Member

Maybe building a garage should have been my first project :)

10. greengills New Member

Thats this evenings watch list sorted, thanks for the tip :)

ukracer likes this.
  11. Morticiaskeeper New Member

Another Tewkesbury resident here.

I did a bit of pigeon crap welding 30 years ago, now I've got stick & mig machines and I'm learning again.

Noz-Alls at Cheltenham have been very helpful, even giving me a bit of instruction when I wanted to give up.

First job was a bender, then a wood burning stove. It's great to have the option of welding rather than bolting brackets. Yesterday I managed to blow the shed RCD!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. ukracer Forum Supporter

No problem....I am on commission from @doubleboost . Lol

slim_boy_fat and greengills like this.
  13. eddie49 Member

Learning how to fix rusty motor vehicles is a special and difficult sub-set of general welding skills - which are already tough enough to start with. Deciding how to tackle the job, cutting out enough of the rusty metal, fabricating and fettling the repair pieces is probably already 80% of the job. The actual welding is the last 20%. Oh, and then comes the grinding it out and starting all over again...

greengills, Red'n'Black and Dr.Al like this.
  14. greengills New Member

Repairing rusty cars is the end goal, lots and lots of practice is how I plan on getting there :) I think I might take a trip to the scrap yard and pick up some doors / panels to start practicing on.

Dr.Al likes this.
  15. davidjohnperry a different breed

I'm in yate and I can offer pointer but even tho I weld as my job i dont weld many cars or enjoy welding cars

slim_boy_fat, greengills and duncans like this.
  16. Learning the Trade

Learning the Trade New Member

Hi. I’m new here Myself.
    You could try what I did,
    it’s a long shot but I got extremely lucky, and maybe you might have luck too.
    I was working part time and over a period of time
    I decided I wanted to have a career within the welding trade.
    Having a plan to cold call local welder’s in & around the local erea’s.
    My very first call I asked if their was a chance if they would be willing to allow Me turn up 2-3days per wk, to watch & learn and possibly pick up tips.
    The chap said yes.
    Not only did I get to regularly watch & have the opportunity to pick up good habits.
    But he ended up teaching Me,
    Allowing Me to use his equipment, also new gloves as & when I needed,
    I did offer to pay
    But wouldn’t take a penny.
    so I would take him gift in every now & then.
    (least I could have done for such a priceless gift) from his own pocket.
    but what I was most thankful for,
    Was the fact that he actually took time out of his own business in his working hrs.to teach Me and train Me.
    He’s an awesome guy and still over a yr later I’m great full for all he has done.

It certainly doesn’t hurt to make a few call’s.
    I was lucky first call in.

ukracer likes this.
  17. duncans Member

wow that's great to read just shows there are some great people about who is will bend over backward to learn a person in his own time what a good-natured person

Learning the Trade likes this.
  18. Learning the Trade

Learning the Trade New Member

Hi. he really is. An amazing gentleman.
    something I will always be grateful for.
    He invested personal & business time,
    and money
    Just to have had that opportunity.
    and now I can’t wait to set up My own workshop from home.

19. carbon

carbon Member

Did you find that oxy-acetylene welding a similar process to tig welding with having to add filler material manually.

20. duncans Member

good luck with your new work shop mate im new as well but im just doing it as a hobby ive looked at tuturials on here and youtube how to mig weld will be practice practice practice for me mate

Learning the Trade likes this.
Advertisements