Welding at angles

1. Ed B

Ed B Member

Just after some advise on how to vary my technique for welding two pieces of metal together that are not flat side by side?

This is a picture of a smaller mock up Ive made of a project that I'm working on for me to practise on.

I'm thinking I'm going to tac it in place and then go over it for the final weld. Do I aim the torch into the centre of the right angle?

The job is complicated by the fact the base is 4mm and my welder wont have the power to weld that thickness. The legs are 3mm so should I just use a setting that I'm happy will work for 3mm?

Weld.jpg

2. Ian James Member

I would hold the torch at 45° in to the corner and put a run of weld on both sides so gaining some strength you might be best to tack both inner and outer before doing the full run that will help stop any distortion as a after thought what amps is you welder rated at and are you on MIG or MMA??

3. w124 Member

instead of flat position, turn the part for vertical up welding and it will do.

anyways, it should work on flat welded on both sides

4. Kent

Kent Member

Recipe of disaster to go v up with an inexperienced oprative. Weld quality beats all !

5. Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal Member

You said your welder doesnt have the power to weld 4mm.... bear in momd the charts that are usually inside or on welders (usually close to where the wire loads) are a basic guide for roundabout ball park settings. Usually based on un-prepped butt welds too, not fillet welds

Advertisements