welding aluminium with cheap gasless mig ?

1. rob12770 Member

I realise this is a total noob question :ashamed: and i think i already know the answer :D but... is there wire available to weld aluminium with a cheap gasless 100A mig welder ?

i googled it but lots of conflicting views.. just thought id ask here, save time.
    cheers rob :waving:

2. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Not as far as I know and even if there was then 100Amps is not going to do you much for welding Alu correctly.

rob12770 likes this.
  3. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    You do already know the answer. :D
    I’m not saying it “couldn’t” be done but it’s highly unlikely you’ll manage anything that looks remotely weld-like.

rob12770 likes this.
  4. lexi Member

paisley
    With 210 amps available on my Portamig, I have it wound well up to get ally firing, so 100 amps? I doubt it.
    With a cheap Mig, the feed system may struggle anyway. You need a decent feed and motor for ally.

rob12770 likes this.
  5. rob12770 Member

oh well. just a thought:rolleyes:
    cheers guys

6. gaz_moose Member

what do you have to do to get a portamig to weld ally? I had it in my head they couldn't do it as you cant swap the polarity.

oddbob likes this.
  7. Hood

Ideally for hassle free alu welding you want a push/pull gun or a Spool gun.
    The TecArc spool guns are good in the respect that they have their own in-line control box so no need to fit a PCB inside the welder. They are not cheap though so unless intending to do a lot of Alu welding then the easiest method is just get a teflon liner for your torch and preferably some soft wire rollers for the feed.

You need pure Argon and will need to be in spray transfer so really anything less than 3mm is not doable and even 3mm is not the best, 4mm upwards is fine.

rob12770 likes this.
  8. rob12770 Member

thanks for the info hood but in just startibg out.. wouls a bog standard Arc welder say 100 amp weld alu ?

9. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Arc Aluminium is quite possibly the most disgusting process I've ever used. You want a machine with high OCV to run a Ali stick rod and even then I wouldn't want to touch it again.

rob12770 and Wallace like this.
  10. Hood

I agree with Tom. I have tried it a few times, it is messy, you have to go fast as hell and the results are ugly and poor.
    I would say about the only use for it is in an emergency to give you a few days grace until you can get the part welded correctly.

rob12770 likes this.
  11. rob12770 Member

ok.. thats clear.. just sorting out a few quesions. thanks again ;)

12. Ian James Member

Like this 1516736604078-1524342791.jpg

13. Hood

Yes, that's the smaller version of the one I have, not that I use it now. Have one like that but without the control box for use with the R-Tech as it has built in spool gun functionality. I mainly use the Push/Pull on the EWM Phoenix though nowadays.

The straight neck however was something I didn't like so I made an adapter and fitted the swan neck from my bigger spool gun, the straight neck is just too awkward to get into places and can be a pain for overhead or other positional welding.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Richard. and Ian James like this.
  14. Ian James Member

I have not tryed that on the RTec yet I have never done a great deal with it only making things for my self it was used on the little sip autoplus 130 and the Clark 160 EN I know what you mean about the straight end that's the sgs 240

Hood likes this.
  15. KemppiFrog Member

Umm, despite the comments, I migged up a 3mm ally tank for a client with my old Kemmpi Kempomat. No special liner for the Euro torch, and no problems with the feed. Def not do it again...

16. Hood

3mm can be done, have done so many timesm myself but you have to go like the clappers and it is not the best looking weld. Of course you can do it easier in dip transfer mode but personally I have found the welds are susceptible to fatigue.

17. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

I did this 20 years ago with a Clarke 190T mig flatout:laughing:
    3mm ,Not the neatest of jobs but it did the job.
    83147f143c8bdd451206993864.jpg

rob12770 likes this.
Advertisements