Welding a car starter in south america

1. Dave's Garage New Member

Hey Guys

I was in south america recently to learn spanish. I am always very interested in metalindustry in other countrys. I asked the director of my spanish school if he knows some industry. He brought me to a very interesting place.

There was a machinist who repairs car starters and other motors. The motors have worn out brass bearing sleeves. Normally people replace just the sleeves. What he does is a little different. He just welds the shaft of the rotor to increase the diameter. After that he turns the shaft to fit it to the worn sleeve.

Ive never seen something like that. But some people have told me that is not so rare.
    file-1.jpg file-2.jpg file-3.jpg file-4.jpg file-5.jpg file-6.jpg file-7.jpg file.jpg

Kent, indy4x, Jlg and 2 others like this.
  2. MattH

MattH Member

Don’t buy a used lathe from this chap!

eil, Dave's Garage, zx9 and 4 others like this.
  3. AdrianH

AdrianH Forum Supporter

I would have thought it better to replace the bronze bushes but I guess it depends on the parts price, buying some bar PB bar stock and making some must be better. Unless the finish on the shaft is mirror finish then that would soon eat through already worn bushes.

I guess the only redeeming thing is that a starter would only turn a few revolutions every time the engine starts

4. roofman

roofman "Hey!! calm down calm down"

Yikes! that poor lathe:(..still if its a means to an end and puts bread on the table and all that then go for it.

stalwart_hmlc likes this.
  5. wyn

wyn Member

The headstock bearings are going to be wrecked if he's not earthing directly on the job.

6. earthman Member

Thanks for posting, I'll watch the video later, looks interesting.

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

[​IMG]

I expected @Parm to have a lot to say about this ^^ , but apparently not......:scared: :D

It just shows how other countries manage without the swaddling H & S laws we have imposed on us here. :worms

skotl and Parm like this.
  8. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

As Adrian says, surely better to replace the bushes. If you have to do that, it wouldn't be difficult to make some sort of jig with a couple of centres to fit the armature in so you didn't use the lathe, still a bodge job though, it looked as rough as a badgers arse.

hunter27 likes this.
  9. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

At least the workshop is tidy & clean it's a start

10. Justme

Justme Member

What about the ultra thin bushing sleeves you can get?

11. Parm

Parm I only give advice if I know

I haven’t been on the forum much recently. Been a bit busy with stuff

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. sardine

sardine Member

If the shaft is worn you would have to build it up, but at least cover up the motor windings and lathe bed to stop any spatter ?

I would have turned it vertical as soon as I had welded it to get the heat travelling away from the windings.

You still need to fit a new bushing or ream out the old one .

So all in all this is the work of a bodger.

hunter27 likes this.
  13. Kent

Kent Member

Back to reality guys. It's Brazil, its not like new parts are freely available from stock.

To be honest I used to work for a firm where we did a lot of shaft repairs from big old weaving looms and the std procedure involved build up on the lathe. If your spatter sticks that far and on an oily machine you need some lessons because that's some serious spatter!

MattF and reb78 like this.
Advertisements