welder torch

1. bugsntinas Member

cork,ireland
    i just bought one of them cheapy cheap gasless welders off of amazon for 75 quid and my only concern is the torch is live. i saw on a video a guy wrapped the tip in insulation tape to stop it sparking but i just wondered can the torch be swapped over for a non live torch or is that part of how it works?

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Very unlikely you'll be able to mod it, it's live because it's built down to a price.
    It's the tip and wire that's live, not the shroud. If the shroud is live there's a problem.

Yamhon and Richard. like this.
  3. bugsntinas Member

cork,ireland
    cheers. i've not used it yet but just going by what i saw on youtube.

4. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Some really cheap welders are live all the time. Not a fault that’s just how they are made.

5. bugsntinas Member

cork,ireland
    slowly getting used to to it but still touching the car when i shouldn't :)

6. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    I dropped a shroud not too long back and didn't have a spare. The fall broke the insulator and bent the outer part so it touched the inner part - so the shroud was live. I managed to finish the job I was doing but what a pain it was. The slightest contact between the workpiece and the shroud and the welding current shorted through the shroud, welding it to the workpiece and stopping progress. I now have spare shrouds.

Jim Davey and bugsntinas like this.
Advertisements