Weld on stainless steel not staying on...

1. SilentGuy Member

I've got a stainless steel tool that I want to modify by adding some small spherical tack welds. But when I weld it on using 0.6mm stainless steel wire 316, they come off pretty easily, as if I had welded onto copper.

Does the base material need preheating? or could it be a different material than it claims?.

2. Any chance of a photo

gaz1 likes this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

it would help if you stated the material thickness you was welding

the name of your machine and also what amperage your using

no offense what you have posted is like searching in the dark for the answers to be given

from that info i cant tell you nothing

gordon stephenson likes this.
  4. Davidcardiff Member

Material thickness
    Gas used
    Voltage
    Wire feed mpm

5. SilentGuy Member

Material - Surgical stainless steel. Sanded it down because it looks chromish and it's got a slight gold colour.
    Thickness - it's not flat, but curved. But around 3mm. Not looking for deep penetration - just want to add a small circular blob around each side for grip and not attaching another metal to it.
    Machine - R-Tech Mig 180
    Voltage/Wire feed - Unsure, the amp readout isn't particular helpful since i can't read it under the hood. They're set to about 40% of max.
    Gas - 86% argon, 14% c02

6. hotponyshoes Member

What tool is it?
    Is it ti rather than stainless?

Davidcardiff and mtt.tr like this.
  7. Could well be martensitic which although weldable needs a lot more care to weld properly. You need to look at the filler wire plus pre and post weld heat treatment to avoid cracking, you’re also using the wrong gas which I won’t go into detail about as it’s a topic that seems to come up on a weekly basis and there’s loads of posts on here about

8. 3mm will need more than 40%. I was welding 2mm today at 50% and that was only just penetrating.

9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Richard. and backpurge like this.
  10. I know Al, just can’t help myself at times

Advertisements