weld help

1. charlie1975 New Member

0.8 wire when i pul the trgger the wire comes out smoothly its in good condition with no rust /dust ect
    The mig wire glows red and sort of just bird nests as it hits the work peice absolutely no penetration no weld pool just glowing red wire

i also on full power dont get very good penetration at all on both 1.0 mm steel and box section its a 181amp mig swp make in very very clean condition bought used any info or ideas does it sound like an earth problem ?? On full power ime getting an arc and a weld of sorts just 0 penetration

2. What happens when you turn the wire feed speed down

3. charlie1975 New Member

Same thing at any wire speed on the lower power setting regards bird nesting of red glowing wire
    At highest setting (1 to 6 )it is better and on wire speed 2.5_3 just has no penetration weld doesnt pool it sits as a blob n top of the work peice

4. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Poor earth or dirty weld area?

5. eddie49 Member

Yes, it could be a fault in the "earth" - i.e. the welding return cable or the clamp may have a poor connection at either end. Similarly, the torch or the tip may have a contact problem. I would also suggest opening the machine, with power disconnected, and checking for loose, corroded, or burnt connections.
    Then measure the DC volts between the torch tip and the earth clamp, with the trigger pressed. Shut off the gas valve and slacken off the wirefeed pressure roller. If you are set up for solid wire with gas ( rather than flux-core & gasless ), the torch tip will be positive. The open-circuit voltage should start at about 16v on the lowest setting and rise to about 35 to 40v as you step up the welding power ranges.

6. MattH

MattH Member

Rectifier diode shot.

7. charlie1975 New Member

Yes 0.8 wire and argon mix gas thanks wil give that a go im the mornim

8. charlie1975 New Member

Its like brand new the welder i mean if it is that
    Can you get that part and how much

9. charlie1975 New Member

Just a note ive opened up the side case and all looks clean no burn or heat marks at diodes (havent tested yet) ive been looking around and every where that sells these new says 16amp fuse i have a chunky plug but its a standard 3 pin plug with a 13 amp fuse its been on from the factory i thought 16amp had to be the round caravanwtype plug sockets

10. hotponyshoes Member

You should be able to get a weld with a 13a plug fitted.

Do as said above and check with a meter and see if you have got voltage between the tip and the earth

11. hotponyshoes Member

Also check the tip is the correct size, or replace with a new one.

12. stuvy Member

If you do have it on full power on a 13amp plug it will just trip the breaker

13. stuvy Member

Take it back to where you brought it

Advertisements