Weird welding noise

1. Omp New Member

So I'm fairly new to welding, always something I wanted to learn and I went for a parweld xte181c welder which I'm over the moon with. Been laying some what I believe to be nice welds down on virgin metal. I do know it's a different ball game when you start to weld cars and things with material that has some imperfections etc but I've come across a weird problem...

I'm welding a patch into a car and I'm finding the welder will rarely give me the typical "frying bacon" sound. The only way I can describe the sound is like a smooth wooshing sound instead of the pulsating popping and it will not continuously weld. I'm also getting a fair bit of burn back on the wire. Does this suggest it's all a feed issue?
    I'm using .6mm wire and gas is set to around 10lpm and I was working outside with little wind. Tried all variations of power and wire speed, turning wires speed up tended to help it happen less regular but only marginally

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

you need to stop the wind blowing away your gas

The_Yellow_Ardvark likes this.
  3. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Could be the lack of gas best to cover the weld are with wind blockers or could be too high on the volts are are entering between spray and dip transfer.

4. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Check your rollers also if they are too tight they can kink the wire travelling through the liner. You should be able to stop the wire with your finger with moderate pressure. If that doesn't solve it you need a new liner.

5. Omp New Member

I don't think I'm having a problem with gas coverage as the welds are not at all porous... When I have had a sudden gust of wind take me by surprise you can really tell in the porosity of the weld which doesn't seem to be an issue linked to this

6. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Shield your work place.

Test the wire feed on a test patch, if that's ok it is the patch you are working on.

Clean up the area, it will be bigger than you think, look for good metal.

Then as you weld try to keep the wire onto the good metal of the patch and let the melt fuse onto the parent metal.

7. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

This is right to an extent. The gas and gas type has many effects on the weld and the arc. The high percentage argon blend with its low ionization leads to arc stability it only takes a small amount of air to get into the argon stream to upset the arc characteristics but the weld may not suffer noticeable porosity.

8. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Have you tried the other things I suggested?? Are you feeling any vibration from the torch? Try running the wire out if it shakes a lot and you have reduce the tension on the rollers --you need a new liner.

9. CKJDJK

CKJDJK Member

Are you using 0.6mm wire? It could be the wire is sticking in the tip reducing the wire feed rate. Try using a 0.8 mm tip or change to 0.8 wire and tip.

10. stuvy

stuvy Member

Any pictures

11. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Assuming your settings are generally good,and turning up the wire slightly oesnt solve it....
    Keep the torch as stright as practical... change the tip, and see how you go from there. Sounds like the feed of wire is being restricted a bit.

If not, take the tip out, Let the rollers right off and pull some wire through the torch by hand, if its not smooth then youre looking at a liner issue.
    Also check the little tube that goes from the rollers into the euro connector s clear.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Check the spindle the wired rums sits on.
    It can get dirty and cause the drum to bind.
    Wipe with a solvent to clean it.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. Omp New Member

Sorry for the lack of replies on this, been mega busy... With the exact same settings on virgin metal it works perfectly leading me to believe it isn't roller, tip or feed related... Unless it is because of the funny angles I'm welding at bending the torch feed etc... Although again pretty sure these angles aren't tight enough to restrict it in any way.

There is no vibration from the torch at all and the pressure on the wire seems to be fine.

I was using 0.6mm wire and tip

I was originally thinking it could be earth related? I couldn't get anywhere close to earth off so I tacked a tab onto my piece of new metal and earthed off that... Is that ok?

14. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

That's ok with the earth good solution .How is it welding now?

Advertisements