Ways to bend sheet metal 2mm thick?

1. adamfromayr

adamfromayr pre-moderated

Hi guys

Im currently building my own inspired by Guyson blast cabinet

Im not a welder but im pretty impressed by what ive built so far

However ive googled how to bend sheet metal and join etc via a mig welder

I don’t have a sheet bender and the company that could do it a bit away and more money involved etc

I know the mild steel sheets are 2mm thick id love to have it wrapped around the cage ive already built but I know that’s almost impossible, for it to go around corners I was thinking of using the angle grinder slightly cutting straight lines into the sheet? Allowing me to bend it around the edges easier?

How do you guys bend 2mm sheet steel round the corners, edges? If you don’t have a large steel bender? How do you guys weld 2mm up to 2mm steel sheet? I think I will just make a mess doing it?

Any tips from the pros appreciated

Think its best for me to use a thin grinder cutting blade and cutting around 0.8mm into the 2mm sheet in straight lines then bending? but that creates a gap (untidy) on the outside ?

Adam

• DSC07231.JPG
    • DSC07232.JPG
    • DSC07233.JPG
    Parm likes this.
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

if that's what you intend doing thin it down and bend it on the inside and it wont be seen

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

for back piece, top piece and also sloping piece id grind and fold against the frame then weld the outside grind line whilst clamped in place

the sides id weld to the others including frame

4. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I can see one spot, the top front missing rail where bending would be required. I'm not seeing any reason to "wrap" the frame otherwise. Better surely to stick on some nice flat cutout sheets. Sure if you could bend sheet easily why not but really otherwise, why?

5. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    slit and bend with the slit inside of the corner

6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    You could grind with a 3mm cutting disc a groove on the inside which will give you a wider kerf but its not easy,i've managed it with 3mm and 6mm but you've got to be spot on.
    But as others have said,why bend,just cut neat and weld up,grind it back smooth

stuvy likes this.
  7. Wallace

Wallace Member

I would bolt or screw the flat sheets to the frame and seal with Sikaflex or tack them on and seal the seams. Welding that lot full will cause you all sorts of distortion headaches. Are you planning on making a tapered collection hopper in the base?

8. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    I used a couple of lengths of angle before, clamped the sheet metal between the angle and beat it with a length of wood and a heavy hammer. Its not great, if it were me in this instance, i'd chop it into individual sheets and weld it to the frame.

Wallace likes this.
  9. stuvy

stuvy Member

10. stuvy

stuvy Member

Or just two pieces of angle iron and make your own bender

11. daedalusminos Member

You want a press brake to fold that, but you'd have joins somewhere. The shorter the fold the easier - you could do sides and lower front on a small press brake - like the ones that go in a hydraulic press or standalone bottle press (something like 300-500mm max capacity).
    Pretty certain angle iron will be a fail since you can't clamp all along.

If you had made the frame from angle section you could have attached flat panels to the inside.

stuvy likes this.
  12. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

3mm cutting disc run along a clamped down length of flat bar gives a neat groove to bend. Go halfway through the sheet to get a nice neat bend.

stuvy likes this.
  13. brightspark

brightspark Member

I just riveted my panels and hopper to angle on the cabinet I made and caulked all the joints

ronan likes this.
  14. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I'd just cut all the panels to fit and rivet or use self tappers I wouldn't even think about bending it

stuvy and brightspark like this.
  15. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

but you would still need to seal it to enclose the dust inside of the cabinet area

16. brightspark

brightspark Member

silicone caulk it grit just bounces off it haven't resealed mine in 20 years and it gets some stick :)

stuvy, outofthefire and addjunkie like this.
  17. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Keep it simple, id do the same cut panels, sickaflex then screw or rivet in place.

brightspark and stuvy like this.
  18. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Biggest thing I ever bent was this: #142

It's only 1.2mm and that was difficult enough, even with a flypress and only bending a foot or so at a time. The sheer scale of the object was difficult to manipulate so unless you have dedicated tooling (like a press brake) you'll spend more time setting it up than bending. Plus of course, the larger the piece, the more accuracy is required. if you're half a mm out at one end, you could be half an inch out at the other.

Turned out better than I could have hoped.

[​IMG]

stuvy, addjunkie and Wallace like this.
  19. Wallace

Wallace Member

No need to use 2mm really, 0.8mm would do then add replaceable wear plates inside. Some of the DIY kits I have seen use plywood with wear plates.

stuvy likes this.
  20. adamfromayr

adamfromayr pre-moderated

awesome Replys guys,
    :clapping:
    all of them, I really appreciate the input, Mixed respnses here, i think what i will do is

One the Fascia side, Cut 1mm deep on internal side and bend inwards and the slightly cut inetrnal sheet bit wont be seen!
    :clapping:
    Then when i do the sides, i will cut to shape, then butt up the the fascia and then do my best to weld, first i will tack weld and then grind see how that looks, but i know my welding isnt PRO standards and welding 2mm steel up to 2mm steel will not be easy considering the lengths involved

I will also consider using ANgle Iron as some suggested to join up the sides with the fascia! i really wanted a smooth looking finish, but i guess im trying to run before walking here

Also its a pity i dont have a large sheet bender,

So i think to start with

• Fascia: cut with angle grinder 1mm Lines across sheet metal, to help bend it to do the fascia
    • The sides i will tack weld first see how that goes
    • If not great i will then use angle iron to join up the sides to the fascia!

ANyone any photos? to see how it could look?

i will add some more in a few days showing the progression of the "super duper" sand blast cabinet

Advertisements