Vivarium Unit

1. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Chaps

My girls are rescuing a Bearded Dragon, I have been tasked with making a Unit for a 4'x2'x2' Vivarium in keeping with the furniture in the doggy area which is a retro/beat up wood industrial style.

I've knocked this up in sketchup and Mrs RDR approves of the design. The middle shelf will come off to allow top access and the glass vivarium will have two front doors and ventilation etc.

Anyone know anything about vivariums and see any major issues before I order the steel?

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 21.12.58.png

Unit will have wooded doors on front with shelves for the thermostat controller etc. And yes she also wants two chairs like that for dog beds!

jimbo84 and Parm like this.
  2. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Keep the thread going, always nice to see what others are playing with!

Parm and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

they use a heat lamp and light so do get warm

other than that made out of chipboard and plastic slide doors

4. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Can't help much. My experience is with veiled chameleons. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

monkeh, eSCHEn, R-D-R and 1 other person like this.
  5. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Nice, I like the Chameleons - Girls set on a dragon. Looks like we will be going with a glass vivarium with a rear planted rock face. I've built an aquarium in the past so will order laminated glass cut to size and build it up myself.

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    More importantly what are you allowed to buy with the money you are saving/family credit? :laughing:

7. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Hah well thats why I am happy to do stuff like this, Brownie points are extremely valuable :laughing:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Boring Bit as far as this forum is concerned, Built the vivarium out of pallet wood and 18mm Ply in the end as decided to try and match the wood style in the doggy area rather than all glass for the Vivarium plus the quotes for glass were a lot! For me, trying to make things look rustic is harder, I have a tendency to seek perfect lines but had to just relax and go for it!

Only used half a sheet of ply for bottom and back panel, must say B&Q ply has improved since the last time I bought some and swore I'd never do it again. Very few voids in this current batch at least:

IMG_2161.jpg

random pallet wood Domino'd together to form a solid planks for me to then cut the panels from

IMG_2162.jpg

Raked in some helpers as its "their" project!

IMG_2173.jpg

Panels built and colour added ready for distressing

IMG_2175.jpg

all glued and squared up

IMG_2178.jpg

next sanding off and layering up the stain

IMG_2180.jpg
    Welded up a top frame for some stainless mesh to attach

IMG_2183.jpg
    Pretty much done, just testing electrics and temps for a day or so now before fixing the wires and lights properly.
    IMG_2182.jpg

So now the boring woodworks done I can crack on with fabricating the steel frame for the cabinet :laughing:

• IMG_2170.jpg
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Looks like you're sorted for the heat side of things, I was going to suggest the heated cables which you bury in the infill in the bottom of the tank.

10. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Tidy.

Really should invest in a domino.

11. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Started fabricating the unit last couple of evenings, draw runner mounts to build and dressing the welds tomorrow. Next job make up the pallet wood panels for visible faces and shelves

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  12. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Back to an glueing wood together. Many people say you can never have too many clamps and its so true and irritating when you don't have enough!. I have 32 clamps of various sizes but still couldn't get 6 panels glued up together ! panels are oversized to be sawn to final fit hence the dodgy edges.

IMG_2218.jpg

chris pruteanu and dobbslc like this.
  13. R-D-R Forum Supporter

more wood bashing today, sanded panels and glued up more bits. This pallet wood comes up really nice with just a few minutes sanding.

IMG_2222.jpg

Doors all dominoed and glued up
    IMG_2223.jpg
    side panels cut to size
    IMG_2221.jpg

Draw fronts cut to size, draw boxes will be made of ply and run on full extension runners.
    IMG_2228.jpg

14. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Top work

15. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Been away with work all week so not got much done, knocked up some hinges on the lathe this morning. Only took 30mins, they will be welded direct to the frame and the tabs to screw into the doors. I've had the lathe covered with some canvas to stop sawdust gathering for the last couple of weeks but to my horror surface rust has started creeping in, I need to clean it up and give all metal surfaces a good coat of something to protect it in winter.

You can see the light rust on the brand new chuck

IMG_2242.jpg

Hinges and tabs ready for welding:
    IMG_2246.jpg

dobbslc and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Finished it off last night and this morning.

Made up draw boxes last night and mounted this morning, draws run on soft close ball bearing runners nice and smooth. I used 18mm ply all round so pretty sturdy draws:

IMG_2252.jpg

Positioned, its extremely heavy !

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

New doggy entertainment complete better than the TV it seems:

IMG_2265.jpg

Beardie seems happy in his new home
    IMG_2268.jpg

slim_boy_fat and dobbslc like this.
Advertisements