Viking Caravan Winter Project

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Now my workshop is done I’m going to move onto my wee Viking Fibreline Caravan. I’m going to paint the outside, my wife is going to sort the curtains and new flooring and a good mate is going to update things internally. My mate is by far the best VW campervan guy in the north east of Scotland so knows his stuff and will do an awesome job. I’m going to drop it off with him in January so I need to get the painting done before then.

Things to do:
    Exterior paint and re-seal
    Harris tweed curtains
    Amtico flooring
    240v hookup
    Solar and led lighting
    New leisure battery
    Fridge install under sink
    Diesel heater (will incorporate it into the old gas heater)
    New internal fresh water tank system

Anyone done a van before recommend anything please do.

Currently stored at our neighbours at our cottage and will tow her back on the weekend.

B4E39515-34B0-4B38-933D-56168FE9507D.jpeg 77A09481-AB7F-48DB-ADFD-B7BD05DF70AB.jpeg 148402D2-DA69-42C7-A7FE-0D12ADF8017A.jpeg FC03E3D5-2FF4-4994-B51D-525D9193B72B.jpeg

Arc Tourist, 8ob, Beeezer and 8 others like this.
  2. Electrics... nominate a "distribution point" so that you can do all the clever stuff in one place, so relays, chargers, fuses and earth blocks etc.

The_Yellow_Ardvark and Burdekin like this.
  3. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Mate had a quick look today and is going to put that in the space under the wardrobe.

4. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Wheel Bearings can run oval and in heavy breaking can cause a wheel to lock briefly.

The bearings are available as kits at good prices. Go to a decent gearing supplier and avoid caravan spates places as they are more expensive.

slim_boy_fat and Burdekin like this.
  5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

I wouldnt do Diesel heating.....its smelly.....Id go gas and then you can also run the fridge and a cooker off the same gas...I prefer propane as the regs arent as awkward and dont jam.....you can get hand wheel versions now.

PS looks like a cracking little van....I love old vans...I want a Castleton Roamer but her indoors doesnt like the layout....tbh shes right....ours is very comfortable

Look out for a second hand Isabella Awning.....the Magnum is a universal fit but might still be too big for yours....I dont know.........Isabella are the best

Also I wouldnt bother with the water tank.......they are difficult to fill....spoil the balance....an aquaroll is a much better system....get two so you always have a full one and dont have to walk across a muddy field in the rain

slim_boy_fat and Burdekin like this.
  6. i am toying with the idea of selling the Cheltenham. Had an offer of £3.5K from a "caravan user" which I turned down. It only gets used one weekend per year and it is such a shame. Someone with more time should have it really.

7. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

rip their hands off

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Norbert has diesel heating, the only did it smell when something had gone wrong in the system.

9. Why? It's worth up to £5k.

10. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Yeah the Eberspacher ones and styled ones don’t smell and don’t add moisture to the air.

11. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Really.....thought Id seen them about 1500....

12. The_Yellow_Ardvark

If the OP wobble box is being restored.

That is one less to allow this to happen.

country_cards022_1024x1024.png

Grabbing coat and running away.

13. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

and someone complained about my post yesterday

14. Wallace

Wallace Member

The dumped one I towed home from a trading estate and used as a temporary shed had some kind of gas heat exchanger in the floor. Are they any good?

15. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

was it the flue from a gas fire?

16. winchman

winchman Member

Personally I would fit a Chinese diesel heater cheap to run good heat output and quick to warm up.
    I would fit new tyres
    Fire extinguisher some insures have it as a must have

Burdekin likes this.
  17. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

The drawback with diesel heating is you still need to carry gas too for cooking, I normally go for a pitch with an electric hook up and heat the caravan from that the amount of gas cooking uses is miniscule.

18. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

There used to be a heater called a Carver Trumatic, the burner, air inlet and flue outlet is underfloor, it was really just a finned aluminium heat exchanger, quite a good idea in a caravan as all moisture created from the gas combustion stays outside, they sound like a jet engine when running, if you take it out you will have a big hole in the floor to deal with.

monky harris and Wallace like this.
  19. Migmac

Migmac Member

I would modernise the electrics and keep everything else as original as I could. I would add a good heater though, had my hair frozen to the wall to many times now. Caravaned every winter, busmans holiday, no heat. Went to bed fully clothed in artic sleeping bags and still froze, -15 or so !

slim_boy_fat, TechnicAl and Burdekin like this.
  20. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Different name these days but same thing

Advertisements