Vice repair.. Worth trying or not?

1. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    I have a snapped record vice... Is it worth a try repairing it? I have a 250a MIG and 250a TIG/stick at my disposal, but this is a far thicker chunk of metal than I've ever worked with before.

Obviously I'm going to have to grind out a V and do multiple passes. Not sure on preheat requirements or what rods/wire to use though...

20191224_130110.jpg 20191224_130101.jpg

Memmeddu and Mr Roo like this.
  2. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

I would say bin it... yes it could be fixed but how much effort would it be and it will never be as strong

3. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

No.
    I just did a repair, it was for fun.

But the cost of a No. 2 vice make sit not worth it.

Suck it up to experience.

The cost of decent rods or wire alone is costly.

4. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    I'm not too concerned about the time involved, I have lots of that. Nor am I particularly concerned about the cost of consumables - especially if it's something I may be able to use in future - I may even already have it... I have a fair selection of oddball rods and filler wire...

Memmeddu likes this.
  5. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    As a for fun exercise, how did you go about doing it?

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

I would say bin it as it will never be the same and you’ll probably be nervous giving it full tilt with anything.

However, if your like me and time is free and materials relatively cheap then definitely have a go at fixing It.

You can’t break it anymore and you’ll probably learn something

Memmeddu, decca, monky harris and 3 others like this.
  7. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    This is what I'm thinking. I'll buy a replacement anyway but I'd like to have a go at a repair, just for the sake of it.

Memmeddu and Parm like this.
  8. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

In that case, read up and press on

I’ve only ever done one repair on a cracked Dutch oven pan. Cleaned and V prepped pan, Heated it up on a big propane stove and then brazed the crack. Covered in a big fire blanket and allowed to cool over night.

Still going strong several years latter

9. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

If you do decide to go with a repair it may be worth dilling and tapping to give you a mechanical repair will make locating and clamping much easier once you start to v out for weld or braze.

Aesgarth, grim_d and Parm like this.
  10. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

11. hermetic

hermetic Member

Yorkshire UK
    Yup, fix it! Drill and tap for two or more big allen screws into the thich cast, then v the crack and braze it, or even tig braze it if you can. Good vices are not cheap! If it was a chinese one I would bin it for sure, but it aint!
    Phil

Memmeddu, monky harris, Parm and 2 others like this.
  12. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    That's a very good point, I'll do that...

Thanks for that, very interesting read.
    TIG brazing sounds like a good choice for me, since I have the rods already and I'm kind of familiar with the process.

Parm likes this.
  13. The_Yellow_Ardvark

IMG_0749.JPG

A friend tried to braze it.
    Not enough heat was possible, so it had no penetration.

IMG_0926.JPG

It failed, only after I painted it.

IMG_0930.JPG

So I got some steel 6mm bar. Drilled out the 2 sections, as deep as I could go.
    Brazed the 2 pins in place.
    IMG_1311.JPG

The "V" cut two parts as deep 1/3 on each wide side and about 1/4" on the sides.

Made a jig to hold the parts and using 3mm Welding rods, as recommended by a welding place. Slowly welded the parts together.
    Removing the slag at each pass. Any slag that was pitted was removed using a Dremmel tool.
    Untill the "V" was full.
    Then gave one final pass.

IMG_1566.JPG

Then using flap discs smoothed of the access.

Repainted it and it is now back in use as a "Light Duty" vice.

IMG_1577.JPG

It was not worth the funds spent on it, as it was a cheep vice and I have plenty of others to use.
    But for the fun to repair, it was worth it.
    I did do a series of post about it.

14. The_Yellow_Ardvark

I must stress.
    It was for the fun and experience.

I do not class it as a full strength repair.
    I am only going to be using it as a light weight vice.

If I needed a heavier duty one, I would junk that one and brought a better one.

Aesgarth likes this.
  15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Aesgarth and Seadog like this.
  16. gt6s Member

Waste of time & money BUY /\ STEEL VICE

17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    If you are going to fix it, you could drill and tap a couple of pretty sturdy through bolts from the front jaw face into those meaty corners of the slide. I'm guessing a 6 - 8 mm high tensile bolt would be ideal. Once the parts are re-located, V out the join leaving just enough meat to really crank on the tensioning bolts without distorting the thinned out section. Then braze or weld it up. If you weld it it will probably end up brittle but definitely have glassy hard surfaces you'd have to grind to tidy up.

18. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    Today I drilled, tapped and countersunk for 2 M8 bolts. (A2-70 THE) is what I'm using because that's what I have. If I have an hour spare tomorrow I'll grind it out ready to braze it back together. For the sake of making this a project thread this is my starting point...

20200105_131521.jpg

winchman, Dr.Al and Parm like this.
  19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Probably too late now but don’t forget you want maximum thickness and thread depth so ideally go in at an appropriate angle. Also a cap head will allow you to hide the finished fixing.

So glad you decided to have a crack at fixing it. No pun intended....

20. Aesgarth Member

Northumberland
    I did go in at an angle, though on reflection I should have gone deeper, I don't think I can do that now without ruining the threads I've already cut. The holes are countersunk deep enough that I should be able to cover them over when I'm finished. I'm hoping when I'm finished the repair will be almost invisible.

Screwdriver and Parm like this.
Advertisements