Vehicle wiring loom tape/wrap

1. earthman Member

This is something that I've never actually bought or used before so am looking for guidance.:)

Are there basically just two types, fabric and PVC? I take it that one would be used over the other depending on if you want heat or water resistance.

Any recommendations on a make/brand in general?

I don't have a particular job in mind at the moment, I have used insulation tape and heat shrink tubing for years now, should add some of this stuff to it.:laughing:

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

self amalgamating tape

3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

This ^^, unless it's for a cherished vehicle rebuild and you want to retain originality? :dontknow:

earthman and brightspark like this.
  4. DaveB Member

North London
    Fabric tapes come in woven and fleece types.
    The advantage of both over other tapes is supposed to be that they do not trap water in the wiring bundle, and that the soft surface does not make as much noise if they drum on a panel.

earthman likes this.
  5. hotponyshoes Member

There are more than 2 types,
    Most stuff sold as loom tape is like pvc but not as stretchy and nowhere near as sticky.
    You can get tacky or completely adhesive free.

You can also get fabric heatshrink and another handy thing is adhesive heatshrink tape. You can make he loom up, tape around all the tees and breakouts then shrink it all down and glue it up at the same time.

Just consider if you are ever going to need to get into the loom again though. Sometimes you can make them too well for future modifications!

earthman likes this.
  6. hotponyshoes Member

Another type is spiral wrap (or something like that)
    It's about 10mm wide like the normal stuff but the spool is about 50mm wide but much smaller o/d so you can fit it in tighter gaps if you are working on a loom that's fixed somewhere without much space behind it.
    It's wound in a spiral up/down the spool so as you turn it it kind of pulls itself along the loom

And another is split heatshrink, can be put over existing looms and shrunk down.

earthman likes this.
  7. optima21 Forum Supporter

adhesive free loom tape for me, I once used self amalgamating, it was a nightmare to get off when I needed to modify the loom again

8. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

The stuff I used is non adhesive you just tape it at the start and at the end of a run.

Anguz and earthman like this.
  9. hotponyshoes Member

For waterproof then self-almagating silicone tape is pretty impressive as well.
    If you use the superseal type connectors on the ends you can wrap it right over the rings on the back of the connectors.
    Stick a cable tie round it and pull it into the groove before it cures and it forms a one piece cover that lasts for years.

earthman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Dcal and earthman like this.
  11. hotponyshoes Member

Don't forget you can get most of these tapes in 50mm wide as well. A lot quicker to fit if you are doing a long straight run.

Convoluted tubing / sleeving is another thing I use all the time as it offers a bit of protection compared to tape.

earthman likes this.
  12. R-D-R Forum Supporter

If it's going underneath near the road use self amalgamating tape. It's a pain to get off but I learnt the hard way about not using it. Rewired one of my trailers and used some cheap fabric stuff, it looked great but literally a year later had light issues and found water ingress in a connector block. Stripped it all again replacing with self amalgamating tape. Also used flexible conduit to get round some hinged areas.

earthman likes this.
  13. earthman Member

Many thanks chaps, lots of points to consider hey,....I knew that you lot were the best people to ask. Lol

14. Anguz Member

bedfordshire
    Fuel and oil eats it

15. rtbcomp

TIP: When wrapping the bundle of wires do it like this:

Scan250.jpg

It's much easier to control the tension in the tape than if the tape unwound from the roll as you wrapped the bundle of wires.

16. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Not just when wiring, when using any tape it is the way to go, especially thread tape.

earthman and eSCHEn like this.
  17. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Absolutely. Always amusing watching someone put PTFE tape on the wrong way round.

earthman, jsf55 and Hood like this.
  18. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

If your working in a tight space, I use a short piece of dowel and wrap the tape on to that first, makes it much easier to handle and keep tight, non sticky stuff !

earthman likes this.
  19. rtbcomp

That'll be me before I twigged on to the proper way, with thread tape you also have to make sure it goes on so that it doesn't wind off when you screw the nut on.

eSCHEn likes this.
  20. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

That is part two of the amusement if you're lucky :) :hug:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements