USB oscilloscope

1. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Thinking about getting a USB oscilloscope for basic DIY automotive use and learning. 2 channels seems like it would be enough, but I don't know about the other specs. The PicoScope 2204A are around the £100 mark https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/2000/picoscope-2000-specifications, however picoscope say that it is no use for automotive - but they are presumably talking professional use.

Picoscope suggest the 4225,https://www.picoauto.com/products/automotive-oscilloscope-kit/picoscope-4000-series-specifications but at around the £700 mark that's not happening. Don't want to be interrogating the CAN bus or anything just back testing sensors, compression test etc. Their Automotive specific software only works on the more expensive models but unsure as to how important that is.

2. sako243

sako243 Member

What do you mean "basic DIY automotive use"?

If you give an idea of what you'd like to achieve with it then the choice can be narrowed down a bit.

3. Wightsparks

Pretty much as per my post, compression test, sensors like cam, crank, temperature, ABS, MAF. Actuators - injectors, plugs, throttle etc.
    Appreciate I will need a clamp meter for compression/battery testing and a inductive clamp for ignition. Not worried about the automatic guided testing software as the info is there anyway.

4. AndersK Member

5. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

I got one a year ago. It has 2channels, logic analyser and a sig gen. Off flea Bay.

There are specific 8 channel ones for "auto" use. But I suppose its how you use it. South main auto on you tubes has several tubes on scoping

6. Wightsparks

It would seem that the 2204A I linked should be OK but not great for my level in a non professional environment. There are cheaper alternatives to Picoscope but there is lots of support and the software is very good. The accessories however are very expensive - even the ebay versions!

One of my favourite youtubers, very professional does a good demo, - even though that's a proper scope I don't think he's using anything not on the 2204A.

I might get a cheap Win 10 tablet and set it up on that, then use Virtualbox to run some diagnostic software on it as well. Could be a nice set up..

mtt.tr likes this.
  7. Red'n'Black

Red'n'Black Forum Supporter

We have a mixture of Picoscopes and 'proper' HP/Tek bench scopes at work. Personally I can't get on with the software that comes with the Picoscopes, some people prefer it. i think there's a demo version you can download and try.
    For automotive use my bigger concern would be that the input stages on the Picoscopes don't seem very robust, one of our guys managed to blow one up probing around on a 24v system. Bearing in mind you can see 80 - 200v transients during start/ stop. The HP bench scope inputs are rated 350V, I've never seen one of them blown up

For a 'budget' bench scope the Rigol DS1052E seems highly regarded, around £350 last time I looked. Not tried one myself.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. 123hotchef Member

I was looking at a 8 channel one on ebay about 80 quid not sure if it is any good though

9. Henrik Member

I have a 2 channel hantek usb scope, which is ok for the money j think (about 60 quid). It has a max input voltage of around 35-40v if I recall correctly, but of course you can get around this with a voltage divider.

I also have a hand held little 20 quid jobbie, which is nicer to use as it doesn't need a laptop... I honestly prefer it to the laptop one given all the extra cables and associated "rubbish".

If I was buying a scope now, I'd get one of those portable "bigger" units that does 2 channel, recording etc...

123hotchef likes this.
  10. Melvyn Best Member

Might be worth having a look at secondhand garage scopes, ? Made for the job and loads sitting around in old established garages unused? Crypton, Sun etc

One on eBay at the moment , the current price is £20

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. 123hotchef Member

what kind of brand?

12. Henrik Member

The usb one I have is:H 6022BL PC USB Digital Storage Oscilloscope 2(Digital)+16(Logic) Channel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M74UKKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_lADAphBrBQMwR

The hand held one is a dirt cheap jobbie: Digital Oscilloscope Kit, ETEPON Oscilloscope Kit + Case/Open Source 2.4 inch TFT LCD+ Shell + DIY Parts + Probe 15001K https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FPDY3DK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_bKYh7tJEmcoXg

The hand held one does NOT come with power adapter, so I've modified mine to run off a rechargeable (over usb) 9v battery enclosed in a 3d printer case.

123hotchef likes this.
  13. Henrik Member

The cheapo one does not have massive sampling capacity, but for simple stuff it works brilliantly.

123hotchef likes this.
  14. earthman Member

One of these or an high level scan tool??

I'd like to invest in something one day but I'd like it to work on ANY vehicle that's computer run. Not going to happen is it? Lol

123hotchef likes this.
  15. Henrik Member

IMG_20190709_072048.jpg IMG_20190709_072101.jpg

Wightsparks, mtt.tr and 123hotchef like this.
  16. 123hotchef Member

what higer end ones do you recoment not too espensive!

17. sako243

sako243 Member

@Wightsparks for what you want pretty much anything would do - you don't need a particularly high bandwidth nor many channels. I think you need to decide what's the most important feature(s) you want and go from there.

For example my day-to-day oscilloscope needed >= 200MHz of bandwidth (so I could look at signals down to ~100MHz reliably) but more importantly for me it needed four analogue channels. With that in mind I settled on a Keysight MSOX3024T, now for me it works well since it has 16 digital inputs and 4 analogue channels rated up to 135Vrms but was £4k with a hefty discount.

NOTE voltage rating is not the be-all and end-all of the oscilloscope, you can set up a simple potential divider (most probes have them built in) to attenuate the signal. Ultimately the front end of the oscilloscope will only be seeing ~5V but has some built in protection itself, it's the power that the probe sees that's the damaging effect. For example a simple 10x probe will let you see 1.35kV on my scope without any issue, if I wanted to look at 13.5kV then I bump that up to a 100x probe, the downside being that I lose resolution at the bottom end but then again if I'm looking at 13kV signals I'm unlikely to be interested in mV...

I seriously considered getting something along the lines of a DS212, DS213 which is battery powered and palm sized for automotive use and general in the field work. E.g. last weekend I was around Bob's yard sorting out his gates for him, just in case I'd needed them I brought up my oscilloscope and soldering iron in a pelicase. Between those two bits of kit there was £6k sat there (luckily didn't need to use it because it was raining). The DSO213 would have done the job and not risked a £4k oscilloscope in the mud, and has the bonus don't need a mains lead and table to rest it on.

Wightsparks, 123hotchef and mtt.tr like this.
  18. 123hotchef Member

That looks like a nice bit of kit for the money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SainSmart-...kmoon+dso213&qid=1570708429&sr=8-1-fkmr0&th=1

19. sako243

sako243 Member

There are variants which are cheaper and have lower bandwidth / less channels depending on what you want.

123hotchef likes this.
  20. 123hotchef Member

I do not know what I want or need if I am honest. Just something that may help me out if I need it. There have been times when one would have been handy. Checking a crank shaft sensor and sorting my dro out on the mill

mtt.tr likes this.
Advertisements