update Landrover saga

1. Gerry Norris Member

WELL Seen failure sheet it goes Nearside rear towbar excessively corroded within 30cm of towbar mounting same on offside, if I cannot plate this then would I be right in assuming the rear cross member has to be replaced THEN in which case does this require removal of rear body to access for cutting/ welding? its the defender 110 1993 flavour:(:dontknow::vsad: or put another way could I be in a world of Poo:flame:

stuvy likes this.
  2. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

Gerry Norris likes this.
  3. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    No need to remove body, it's tricky lining up the new x member without being able to bolt it to the body.

Gerry Norris, rtbcomp and stuvy like this.
  4. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    No need to take off body, but no fun.
    Dixon crossmembers is very similar to the ones I used to make, though I’m 100% sure he designed and come up with the concept himself :rolleyes:

5. maz0

maz0 Forum Supporter

yeap, no need but it sure makes life easier if you aren't one of those people who can weld upside down and inside out.

Gerry Norris likes this.
  6. MoreWellie Member

We have fitted this style before https://bearmach.com/rear-crossmember-with-extensions-br-3398 not as heavy duty as the Dixon one though but similar to the original

No need to remove body BUT remember that the loom runs through the drivers side chassis leg but it can be disconnected and a pull wire attached before pulling it out of harms way

Measure many times and cut once

You want a strong job anyway but remember that someone could end up towing 3.5 tons attached to your cross member

Gerry Norris and stuvy like this.
  7. CompoSimmonite Member

I assume you have a welder with sufficient power for such a large and structual member. Rear crossmember isn't something to tackle unless you realise how important it is. Could be better if owner has somebody who has done such before do the job rather than you as a first time.

Gerry Norris likes this.
  8. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    If it needs a crossmember then I would say it's likely you'll be chasing it in the coming years. A 300tdi 110 is a valuable beast these days and I reckon the best thing would a galv chassis. You will easily run up the same amount in repairs in future years and it will never be as good as a replacement chassis. Obviously if you aren't planning on keeping it then that's a different story.

Gerry Norris and frank horton like this.
  9. pressbrake1

essex england
    By taking the body off you loose datum.
    I’ve fitted more crossmembers and had a formidable reputation in the Landrover work for my quality of work.
    Leave the body on

stuvy, Gerry Norris and Mattycoops43 like this.
  10. Gerry Norris Member

Yes they run there own business with the use of there own heavy plant, Hgv,s. There own workshop as I said dad is just to busy and he is the head fitter and only fitter as well as firms general jack of all trades and the price,s they have been quoted apparently are just daft they looked at a replacement chassis but seem to think £3000 is to much:dontknow:

11. Gerry Norris Member

I am hoping I can get away with plating just so lad can have his Landy back, He does not use it apart from fun the firm have there own ones for towing

12. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

Or buy a Toyota....
    The Aussies say
    “if wanna get into the outback take a L/Rover, if u wanna get home take a Toyota”
    Haha...
    Why do ya think the W/Heath and Unisef buy Toyota....
    Bxxxdy shame really as we could build the best in the world...
    Blame the accountants.....

Shedendman, dobbslc and stuvy like this.
  13. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

We stopped building the best of anything years ago, now we import the cheapest rubbish instead.

14. pressbrake1

essex england
    This is where we need the agreed but don’t like button

garethp, stuvy and Rig Pig like this.
  15. MoreWellie Member

Having owned both for extensive periods I sort of agree but I would prefer to keep maintaining an old (past 20 years) land rover than an old toyota

pressbrake1 and stuvy like this.
  16. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

The Toyotas rust less!

dobbslc and stuvy like this.
  17. Gerry Norris Member

18. That is only partly true, Toyotas rust pretty badly in our damp climate however the reason Defenders and series seem to last as long as they do is they are easy to work on and parts are dirt cheap (As long as you don't buy them from JLR) Try buying spares, especially body and trim parts for an old Toyota Landcruiser. They are eye wateringly expensive if you can find them.

The last one I got involved with was a surf or some such. The big chrome front bumper was rust holed and needed a replacement to pass the MOT. A new one from Toyota was a fortune and only available from Japan to special order. The few available second hand were just as rusty. The owner lost patience, scrapped it and bought another similar Japanese box on wheels. The last bumper I bought for a S111 Land Rover cost about £40.

Robbie260 likes this.
  19. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Funny you should say that, there is a post on here from last month of me butchering a transit bumper to fit a Surf - total cost £5! 20190330_135403.jpg

octo0072000, indy4x, winchman and 2 others like this.
  20. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Not really when you look at the work in repairing one, they just from the inside out and are always much more work than you first think.

Advertisements