Unboxing a new Parweld Xtm 252i

1. RossC New Member

I'm writing this for the benefit of those that may be interested in this machine. I recently found myself in need of a new welder and came across the parweld machines. I quite liked the specs of the machine and had tig comparability which is something I always wanted to try my hand at. Anyway I could not find any info or reviews other than parwelds sales info. After a weeks pondering over it I bit the bullet and bought. And it arrived two days later to n.Ireland which isn't bad. IMG_20160915_182430.jpg
    IMG_20160915_182530.jpg

There is a drawer for consumables or what ever you want to put in it. Parweld neglected to mention this in their sales literature for some reason I think its a nice touch.
    IMG_20160915_182549.jpg
    4 roller feed and is that burn back control?
    No mention of it anywhere in manual.
    IMG_20160915_182647.jpg
    Now the spindle for wire reel seams bit flimsy for 15kgs, may be something that may give trouble in future maybe not time will tell.
    IMG_20160917_192952.jpg
    There also was 6 screws loose on the cover, maybe came loose in transit or never tightened at factory well never know but no major biggie

Quick note on the torch.
    It comes with a parweld xp8 200a torch. I only had 0.8 wire at hand so went to local welding supply shop to get 0.8 tips as welder comes set up for 1.0mm. they had not seen these tips yet maybe a new design? So bought a roll of 1.0mm wire and came back and done a google/eBay search on the tips. Was shocked at the price of consumables for this torch. Only seam to be available genuine parweld at the moment.

IMG_20160915_182733.jpg

Now I started the welder up for the first test weld on 2.5mm sheet. Set it in synergic mode and away I went. Now I would never have considered myself a good welder but I can stick things together with good penetration it just wouldn't have looked the part. But look at how neat and smooth the first weld it put out. No spatter in sight even tho its rusty sheet.
    IMG_20160917_193150.jpg
    The oily scratched camera lens on my phone doesn't do it justice lol. Its better lookin real life.
    IMG_20160917_193205.jpg
    Now it could have done with a bit more heat but you can trim the synergic settings.
    IMG_20160917_193250.jpg
    Have done a quite a few more welds after this on the same sheet and 1mm sheet. Haven't had a chance to get trying good heavy stuff yet but so far I'm well impressed with it.
    Only other point let's it down a bit is once you switch off synergic mode into normal mode the display where the amps were showen changes to display wire feed speed. You have to sort of guess the correlation between wfs/amps. Maybe with a bit of use I'd get the hang of it.

Next thing is to get trying out the tig. Just out of interest can you get a tig torch that plugs into euro connection so I can control the gas and current switch?

Now on to the price.
    I don't know if I'm allowed names on here, if not then mods delete this part.

I ordered online from welding supplies direct and done a search for discount codes and found 10% discount code on there Facebook page (PROMO10)
    The original price was 888plus so saved 106 quid with the code.

Hope this is helps anyone who couldn't find any info on this welder. I will update if I find any problems.

Ruffian, tom2207, Bucks and 6 others like this.
  2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Errrrrrr......welcome to the forum. Nice glowing first post machine review. ;)

Johnseat likes this.
  3. RossC New Member

Thanks, always like to help where I can.

4. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Ooh, that's one of mine :D hope alls well with it, let me know if you've any questions about it at all :)
    I'll do what I can to help out.

Ruffian and tom2207 like this.
  5. RossC New Member

Ah yes alls well so far more than happy with it thanks. Do you have any info on the tips? Will ordinary tips without the long thin bit fit?

6. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Just fit an mb25 torch and be done with it...

7. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

I do admit that the XP8 torch supplied with it isn't 100% the most convenient. They're an M10 thread so not a standard.. Although if you buy a pack of 5 they'll last you forever. They claim you can weld a tonne of wire with 1 tip.

8. RossC New Member

I'll get a packet ordered off you in the morning ;)

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  9. ned

ned Member

kerry, Ireland
    I used a single tip for about three years (regular hobby use). Had to give it some serious attention to bring it back to life at one stage, but its still going the absolute hero.

Great write up, looks a nice machine.

Looking at the parweld webpage, they say it will weld up to 8mm.. - I thought a 200 - 250 amp mig would do 10mm, is this not the case?

Do you have a decent helmet Ross? made the world of difference for me. nice to able to have good equipment.

Great looking first weld.

10. Bucks

Bucks Member

How's this machine going for you ?

11. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Would be nice to hear how you're getting on with it now Ross.

12. Kent

Kent Member

It's always subjective and likely to lead to litigation if someone has a mishap I suppose. Not used this machine but a mig doing that sort of claimed output can easily go spray transfer on 1mm before it tops out

13. Tally Member

I know this super late.. but im curious what are you powering this welder with? what breaker etc and have you maxed it no problem?

14. andyinv New Member

If it's anything like my XTM 201i, the amps are showing once you pull the trigger on the work and the arc forms. When you stop, it preserves the amperage display for a few seconds before reverting back to wire speed. So when you let go the trigger, turn your head around quick ;)

Advertisements