Trying to upskill a little - Aluminium

1. Spitwelder

Spitwelder New Member

I'm a new boy on this forum
    I learnt to gas weld as a panelbeater 40 years ago and did a fair amount of Mig welding on thin steel. I haven't done any welding for about 20 years but now I do a little Tig welding for work. Generally I'm happy that things are stuck together well enough but things don't look all that pretty. So i thought I'd have a play. I was using a Lincoln V205T so there aren't any excuses with the machine. I used a couple different thickness that represent the majority of the welding work (16 and 20 gauge). I also varied the balance, frequency, and amperage on each piece.

This exercise taught me that I like the frequency set to max (150hz) it seemed a little wayward at lower settings, I like the balance set to 85% negative on nice clean material like this, my torch technique needs some work as I quite often touch down a couple of inches into a weld (the change of hand angle seems to come with a lowering of the tungsten gap) and finally my rod hand technique needs some serious work if I'm going to weld anything longer than three inches.

I've learnt most of what i know off YouTube (welding tips and tricks, weld.com) but I'd be interested in sitting down with someone and going through techniques etc. I'm sure I can improve a lot more.

[​IMG]
    The plus symbols are the last weld and the one I consider to be the best. Top piece is 16 gauge and bottom 20 gauge. An interesting side note is that I found the thinner material easier to weld which seems a little counter intuitive to me.

[​IMG]

zzr1200, dazza and Brad93 like this.
  2. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Being as your based in Cambridge.

You need to talk to Richard about a Saturday morning lesson he lives somewhere in the Cambridge/Peterborough area I believe, and for reasonable beer tokens he is very good and well worth the investment.

I'm sure others will be along to confirm the above statement and "The Man" might even put he's head above the wall himself...

You'll find no one better....

dazza, Richard. and Hood like this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Member

:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:

4. zzr1200

:waving::waving::waving::waving::hug::hug::hug::D:D:thumbup:

:welder::welder::welder::welder::welder::welder::welder::drunk::welder:

5. Richard.

Richard. Member

Of course you’d be welcome to book a local visit with me as I’m a stones throw from Cambridge.
    It’s not strictly true there are a number of better welders on here than me but I’m local and have a bit of a teaching background on me so I’m sure I could answer a few questions for ya. Pm me if you wanna Arrange something.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. zzr1200

Theres nowt like an understatement, is there.....:doh:.

I'll get me coat....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  7. Spitwelder

Spitwelder New Member

PM'ed you Richard. Thanks for the offer of some training :)

Richard. likes this.
Advertisements