Trailer design

1. Justme

Justme Member

Is it possible to design a trailer that can carry 3500kg but weigh only 500kg or less inc ALL parts like wheels breaks etc? I have found some that are 3500kg MAM & weigh 600kg ish so a 2900kg payload.

I have a digger thats 3500kg. You can tow that with a landy with air breaks as long as the MAM is 4000kg. Failing that I need a car / van that weighs over the MAM of the digger & trailer but under 12 tonnes.

Or its local only stuff & stick it on an agri trailer & tow it with the tractor but minding that I use the tractor at the site to comply with red diesel rules.

Justme

2. English Steve

English Steve Senior Bumpkin

Hi JustMe. As you say, you can pull over 3500kg with a Landrover providing the landrover and trailer are fitted with 'linked' brakes. The MAM for any trailer with overrun brakes is 3500kg (inc the trailer) so whatever you use you will need linked brakes (possible exception of the tractor).
    In theory it should be possible to build a suitable trailer within 500kg, but the running gear, brake system and coupling are going to be heavy, and expensive, in their own right. This won't leave much for the chassis, so some clever design may be necessary to achieve the required strength. You also need to comply with a different set of regulations when building and using trailers above 3500kg - I can look up the relevant details from Construction and Use if you decide to go that way.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. English Steve

Something else to think about - Above 3500kg COMBINATION WEIGHT ie Landrover and loaded trailer, when used to carry goods requires the fitting and use of a tachograph :o
    Don't know the exact definition when transporting your own plant, but it may be worth your while checking the regs.

4. Justme

Justme Member

Plant for use & not sale are not goods.

Are you sure about the 3500kg combo weight cos most small traders with trailers will be over that with a normal car.

I cant see me actualy building one more just wondering if I will find one already made. As I doubt I will go far I think the tractor & trailer is the way to go. Having to run a heavy vehicle just to occasionaly tow it would not be cost effective. Unless I come across a land & trailer combo with linked breaks that is. That or a 7.5 ton flat bed lorry (pref ex recovery type) with a 3.5 - 4t payload. But again costly to run & insure for small jobs. Will have to see how it goes as I only realy bought it to do my own work but undoubtably will get asked to do jobs for other people.

Justme

5. English Steve

Yes, unfortunately, have a look here and scroll down to the flow chart on page 6/7. It's really aimed at the self employed chap with a Disco and 3.5 tonne Ifor Williams trailer doing cheap haulage, but the way the regs are worded it catches a lot of other folk:mad:
    By the way, a car becomes a goods vehicle if it can gross in excess of 3500kg and is being used for the carriage of goods.

6. Dusty Member

Medway,Kent,uk
    Sod having a trailer, buy a cheap beaver tail 7.5 tonne truck....easier to load / drive and better to deal with a heavy digger...Ex Recovery trucks are dirt cheap?????
    Just my 2p's worth as a ex trucker and now landy owner.

7. Better than a Land Rover and Trailer and even better than a recovery truck would be a small multi/hook lift.
    You can use a flat bed on it to transport the digger then use bins on the back to move the muck.
    A tractor can run a similar set-up on a trailer but more expensive to run distances than a normal truck.

8. Justme

Justme Member

If I had the digger on the back there would be no where for the skips?

For the amount of use I cant justify a beaver tail / recovery truck just on the insurance costs alone. Purchase wise would be about the same as a trailer. With luck most of the people that I would do stuff for will have or can get tractor trailers to move it. Ah well will be a while before I finish my stuff any way & by then I might want / need a second income & go for the lorry option as it is realy the best all round.

Justme

9. technically if running on red with a tractor your only allowed to haul your own plant to your own land, everything else is contract work, and should be hauled on white with a plated trailer.....a couple of local guys have been fined for not complieing....

Truth is if your only doing odds and sods your get away with it, the ones who they set examples of were using either fastcraps or Unimogs and hauling from here to sulfolk....

A land rover or 4x4 will cost you a small fortune to haul that sort of weight...

10. Justme

Justme Member

Sorry but you are missinformed about the red.
    Agri contractors can use red. The rule is the tractor that towed the trailer must also be used on the same site / job as the towed kit. IF it just does the towing then thats haulage & must use white. If that was not true then no one would be able to afford to do contracting. Tractors use huge amounts of fuel when powering equipment doubling the cost would kill the trade.

Yeh would drink the juice but save on insurance & road tax.

The two most likely places are very local (one is only 300m away so could drive it) & the other is about 2 miles & could be reached by going across a few fields if needs must (but would take forever).

I also looked at those american 5th wheel mods like the one one this forum but that I felt was going to far. I think I will see what happens & use borrowed tractor trailers to start with & then if I do it more a beaver tail ex recovery lorry.

Justme

11. justme that rule is extremely borderline the FW was knocking that about a few years back, misinformed no, I'm quite aware of red diesel and tractor use, and plant, iv worked around the industry for many years, and grew up farming, the Guys who do it properly run duel tanks, Agrihire were taken to court a couple of years back for flouting the rules,

A Friend of mine wasn't keen to move one of his diggers today actually because his unimog which is duel tanked was being displayed at LAMMA, so he only had a Fendt running on cherry to move it with.....

know one blinks an eye until you have a shunt, which inevitably happens around here being on the London fringes, then the Ministry will check everything with a fine tooth comb, if someones seriously injured, your fault or not, and you have worked to a Grey area, its a manslaughter case, trust me, I saw it happen.......

I'm not saying don't, as your only running local, but the rules are becoming less blurred and certainly here traffic, and the Ministry are getting S*** hot on knowing the rules, so its best to cover yourself tenfold.....

12. Justme

Justme Member

Er I thought twin tanks was a no no? It would be to easy to flick the switch as soon as you get pulled.

from HERE

Justme

13. nope digital techo uploaded every month makes it pretty easy now to see what these guys are up to, no system is 100% because you can switch them to an out of range setting (for field work)....
    these techos however store huge amounts of info, and 50K when switched to out of range is pretty is to see.....

the guy I know has just done the course on it all, big brother can indeed watch em.....

Haulage on red, with a tax exception disc, is in the eyes of the law a no no, simple as, I'm not saying I would follow to the letter of the law, its all about scale, tellehandlers are another one that can depending on the work soon become a commercial rather than an agriculture machine, however I doubt theres many on farms with a paid tax disc... as iv said moving a machine a few miles wouldn't bother me.......

14. Justme

Justme Member

Its all a mess lol.

Time the system was cleaned up & SIMPLIFIED. However ever time the gov tries to do that it seems to get more complex.

Justme

15. agreed, all the Grey areas and fudges just make it virtually impossible to work within the law.........

personally for what you want, I wouldn't worry, the guys I'm talking about use tractors to haul diggers all over the county, often working for highways and councils, so they had to get there house in order, one 3 tonner every-now and then isn't going to attract too much unwanted attention......

mind welding qua-ls are not much better:laughing:

16. English Steve

A neighbour was recently prosecuted for misuse of red diesel. He is an agricultural contractor and was working fairly close to home, so he drove the tractor home for lunch. The Excise man knocked on the door and asked what he was doing, and unfortunately he said "having my lunch", so they did him. If he had said he had come back to repair the machine, he probably would have been OK!
    Jobworths:mad:

Advertisements