TR6 Chassis

1. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Hi all

Going very well and whilst trying to put my own web site up I'll post progress here.
    None of this would be happening without Malcolms assistance so my thanks to Malcolm.

It started by some crazy idea to replace the trailing arm bushes and the chassis looked like this...

[​IMG]

I quickly discovered that during previous repairs long ago, the mounting bolt had been put back the wrong way which meant it couldn't be removed as it hit the chassis so the entire mounting bracket needed to be removed. As I undid the bolts I heard that horrifying sound of rusted metal moving inside the chassis rail. With some digging around, ok with an angle grinder it started to look like this...

[​IMG]

A little closer gives more indication as to how well the tin worm had gotten hold...

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17&stc=1&d=1144266843

Time for the repairs...

[​IMG]

And finally, one chassis side rail is nearing completion...

[​IMG]

All we need to do now is replace the trailing arm outrigger and then do the same one the other side 'cos it's probably just as bad.

Maybe I just love crawling around on my back as the warmer weather arrives and I should be driving the sodding thing!!!

One day I'll have a web site to document this in more detail.

Regards to all

Rob

• Underside TShirt.JPG
    • DSC00249.JPG
    • DSC00251.JPG
    • DSC00343.JPG
    • DSC00348.JPG
  2. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

The rust has really got into the chassis. The repairs look fantastic. The photo with the clamps and shiny metal looks like it's from one of those spotless restoration workshops filled with craftsmen. Looks really neat.

One thing you might find handy is one of these clamps for holding plug welds together.

[​IMG]

3. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    So far so good.
    This really is a critical part of the chassis and not the area I really wanted to learn on but I didn't have a choice.
    It passed the hammer test when I attempted to bash crap out of it so it's looking good. Going to paint what I have so far and then start cutting more out.
    Am trying the Bonda Rust Primer from Bondaglass Voss with an overcoat of Jotamastic 87 from Jotun Paints. Will let you know how it goes.
    Regards
    Rob

4. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Hi All
    Literally just finished painting, took some photo's and here's another now the welding is finished (god I hope so!), till next time!

[​IMG]

I still can't get the grin off my face... I'll go and say hello to the missus, that should do it!

I also hope the picture works!

Regards to all

Rob:)

• DSC00520.JPG
  5. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Excellent - these projects can take a long time, and you're not finished with the welding (that fully welded Aston you saw over here is still not together - but is close).

Pop over if you need some waxoyling to preserve your work. I've got a pro style gun that you fill with the 5l cans.

Good to hear it's finished - looked like a big job!

6. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Diff's back in tonight along with new handbrake cables so progressing well.

Thanks for the offer Malcolm, I have a 5Ltr tin of waxoyl with a normal pump spray thing which I want to try as I've never used it yet. I'll perhaps put some comments here on it's usefulness! But otherwise I'll see how it goes.

I just remembered.... I've not finished welding yet... I have a small split on the bonnet where the hinge mount is fitted. It'll pass an MOT with that though, maybe a project for next winter!

Best Regards

Rob

7. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Hi All
    Further progress... I tried the waxoyl today. The pump action thingy with the extension probe worked really well, I was genuinely surprised. Whether it was due to resting the can in boiling water refreshed every 30 minutes, 3 times, on a scorching hot day? but it really was liquid and squirted easily into every orrifice.
    Just waiting for a delivery of nuts now and then we should be mobile next weekend.
    What's the odds on the weather changing and it'll be pi$$ing down by then?!?!
    Regards
    Rob

8. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Did you have the rain today? I've never seen anything like it. I was down at Luton airport and we had the whole lightening and sheet rain thing. The terminal building had a load of big leaks in the roof - water streamed in. Anything electrical down there broke (including the short stay parking meter :D) and the traffic lights were broken all the way home.

It's good to come to the end of a project. I finished the MGB this morning (last minute stuff - it should be nearing Scotland by now), and the Aston has an MOT on Friday.

You've not missed much having the TR off the road in this heat - it's been too hot for an open car. The forecast suggests it'll cool down just in time for you.

9. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    I had to pick the missus up from Castle Ashby at 5pm yesterday.When I left home it was a bright sunny day although dark clouds in the distance looked like we were up for rain. On the A45 it started raining and 3miles down the road where I pulled off it was like a tornado was running through. 20mph and wipers on max gave me enough vision to the end of the bonnet! I was a little worried that the hail pounding on the roof was going to damage the car. The road was flooding and the Courtyard at Castle Ashby was a couple of inches deep. Coming back I stuck to the high ground and as you say, all traffic lights were out.
    It really was unbelievable - I've never seen anything like it.
    Whether I've come to the end of the project is another matter - I'll be happy once I've run it around for a while without any problems.
    Then I can start planning the projects for next winter!!!
    Regards
    Rob

10. Eurotorch Eurotorch

uk
    cool

Really nice job your'e doing, brings back memories some good some bad, I have done quite a few triumphs in my time, quite a few were 60% new metal replacement, just a thought for you hardwork we used to protect the new shiny steel with Unidox zinc primer, when we first tested it we treated a rusty piece of angle iron and threw it down the yard for 6 months, not a bleb on it just as it was freshly painted, the paint is 90% zinc and weighs a ton but most classic restorers use it.
    we have tried quite a few paints most are good, but very expensive, unidox seems to be the best for price and protection and ease of use.http://www.btinternet.com/~mallard/ you can obtain it from this guy if you are interested.

11. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Thanks for that, never heard of it / them.
    Im trying the bondarustprimer from Bondaglass Voss, appears to have a good write up elsewhere. I've jst got to replace 10 nyloc nuts and hopefully it's coming off its axle stands tonight / tomorrow.
    Winter projects always take a little longer than planned!
    Rob

12. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

90% zinc sounds good. I tend to use zinc rich primers (now that lead is out of favour). I used bondarust on the MGA, and it's still immaculate underneath after 12 years.

Talking of longer than planned, the Aston was booked in for an MOT tomorrow. Only 20 months into a 6 month project. Never again will I laugh at the delayed military projects you hear about on the news.

With luck the Aston won't make it into it's 21st month, but hectic work tonight replacing a brake servo with another one that doesn't work doesn't seem to have been the way forward.

Advertisements