Tips for uphill MIG?

1. Yamhon Member

Could someone please offer me some tips on how I can do uphill beads using MIG. I've taken this photo of one attempt on 6mm mild steel for a tee joint.

Volts were around 16.7 and amps were around 120-140'ish. I tried the "triangle" pattern manipulation as shown on Welding Tips and Tricks, but just couldn't get it right. I aimed for a 90 degree gun angle, but probably got closer to 80 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 20191206_141918.jpg
  2. Richard.

Richard. Member

This is probably causing most of your issues. voltage too low and feed probably a tad high.
    try 18-19 v aim for 110-120 amps.

Memmeddu, rory1, Yamhon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Yamhon Member

Will do, thank you.

Memmeddu likes this.
  4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Clean the mill scale off.

Depending on the size of your test price it might become heat socked a bit quickly.

I like the triangle method best. Some of the guys run a pissy little droopy run up the corner well quick but you can clearly see lack of fusion in places.

As per Richard, I would say 17-19V.

If using a 1.0mm wire it’s probably between 4.0-6.0m/min of wire to get you in the ballpark.

Yamhon likes this.
  5. Yamhon Member

Yes 1mm wire, the machine was set on just over 4, although I'm not sure if that directly translates to any given m/min; it's a 3 phase Esab machine I used.

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Usually, no.
    The older Machines, particularly the step-migs are just a scale.
    The new warriors and most of the 3xxx series feeders give you a WFS on the scale.

You can always pull the trigger for 20 seconds, measure how much wire comes out and multiply by three. That should give you a rough idea of your wirefeed speed and how it relates to your dial.

Bear in mind though that the motor may not be perfectly linear. I.e. if at 3 on the dial you get 5m/min, don’t expect 6 on the dial to be 10m/min.

You’d have to test at a few points to see how it goes.

indy4x, Memmeddu, mtt.tr and 2 others like this.
  7. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Lets not send another thread off the rails eh chaps. You know the crack. Please stop bullying members.

stuvy and Burdekin like this.
  8. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Was genuinely wondering what the score was, but I went back and double checked the c&g spec for level one mig, hadn’t realised it included a vertical, I thought it was all flat at L1.
    To the op, I concur with Richard and brad, more bolts, less wire, and prep the plates first

9. Welderpaul

You were jumping in again with Parm, picking up from where you left off yesterday on the welding course thread.

Lets keep it on track lads:thumbup: No one's mentioned christmas trees yet;):whistle:

Parm and stuvy like this.
  10. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    I’m sick and tired of us having to tidy up threads.

Yet another reminder of the rules:
    Winding up other members (trolling)
    Don't do it on any account. If it looks like you are deliberately trying to wind people up you'll quickly end up on the naughty step.

You have been warned. :whistle:

Turbo and stuvy like this.
  11. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

sorry Paul, but where I left off was asking him to do precisely what he’s done today, take pictures so people could advise him. I surprised by his post as I had thought L1 was all flat however I took the time to check it with the course spec , found I was wrong and admitted to that.

slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  12. Richard.

Richard. Member

Ha. Well that’s that thread now ******.
    Good luck with the vertical @Yamhon :thumbup:

Burdekin and Yamhon like this.
  13. Richard.

Richard. Member

I honestly don’t think I could do it now you know mate. I’ve had my vertical welding skills suppressed with the luxury of SpeedUp. :laughing:

14. Welderpaul

That has to be the most valuable Lorch function, although we tend to just lay stuff down or turn it over to avoid technicalities like welding vertically up.:laughing:
    If your ever near Leeds and fancy giving us some Saprom stainless fine tuning tuition there's a tea bag with your name on it - your boss rejected the Yorkshire Tea!;)
    Mind, i've seen the bald man welding traditional V/U and its good.:laughing::laughing:

15. Yamhon Member

Thanks for the help everyone; forget the model of the Esab machine. Plan to cut up some coupons of 3-5mm plate to practice with my Clarke 151, same practice but on thinner material so I don't tax my hobby machine too much.

I've completed a City and Guilds level 1 course for Mig - I still need lots of practice though - However, the test pieces I had to do for that were; 3 beads on a plate in PA, 1 tee joint in PA, 1 tee joint in PB, a lap joint in PA and an outside corner joint; so I didn't need to do any uphill for that.

This was just personal practice as I'll be booking a level 2 Mig course as soon as possible, and I know there is at least one uphill joint on that curriculum that I need to pass.

Richard., Tinbasherdan and Welderpaul like this.
  16. north Member

Hard thing to do. In the real Life to weld is to weld upsite is a pain. You need good penetration. Scew up the juice. Good Earthpoint is da ****. :thumbup:

17. Mid Wales welder

Mid Wales welder Welder coding and NDT services

You could use 0.8mm wire which makes it a little easier. Other that it just takes practice, you need to pause longer than you think on the sides otherwise it just crowns you in the middle.
    You can measure wire by holding trigger for 6 seconds and then X10 to give m/min. That’s assuming your machine doesn’t have a creep start, if it does then you need to measure the actual wire dia on the reel then X by pie to give distance and then take an average time of 3 revolutions, divide the distance by the average time and then x60 to give mm/min. If that makes sense :dontknow::laughing:

Yamhon and stuvy like this.
  18. henry Kadzielski Member

^^^ NO
    But down here everything is upside down:D

19. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

So my mig downhand is your up :laughing:

[​IMG]

henry Kadzielski and stuvy like this.
  20. Richiew Tungsten Sharpener

Downhand is flat in my neck of the woods.

Arclikeharrypotter likes this.
Advertisements