Tin snips

1. stuvy

stuvy Member

I’m after some new tins snips as mine have seen better days and are only cheap ones

Any recommendations?

Straight cut too please on ally and thin mild

2. optima21 Forum Supporter

Im using Wiss or Stanley fatmax offset avaiation snips for thin metal 0.9 or 1.2mm steel, the offset handles keep your hands out of the way if you're cutting deep into a panel. I already had the stanley snips but wiss are supposed to be better, but I cant say there is much difference, I think the stanleys need slightly less force to use and the wiss can cut slightly tighter radius. Im only working at home, but the professionals may say others are better.
    For 1.5mm steel I'll use gilbow snips then for thicker sizes I'll use something powered or a plasma cutter. some people will say they prefer gilbows and you can use them for 2.0mm and thicker. and say aviation snips are a waste of space.

stuvy likes this.
  3. MCKDAVID Member

Gilbows or Wiss.. no comparisons..

4. AndersK Member

I use Wiss and a set of small Cocraft
    for aviation snips
    Bacho and some German brand for offset snips

stuvy likes this.
  5. stuvy

stuvy Member

Will order a set on the gilbows

Where I used to work there was a set of dewalt ones for opening metal banding straps. They were really bad for the money

brightspark likes this.
  6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Best ones I have are an old pair of Gilbows I found on ebay....those aviation snips I find are a bit useless.

brightspark likes this.
  7. MCKDAVID Member

Just look in a sheet metal shop, and see what the tin bashers are using, almost certainly gilbows.... well all the ones I've been in anyway.. can't get a better recommendation than that..

8. stuvy

stuvy Member

Most sheet metal shops Iv worked in they’ve all had them for donkeys years

9. keithski122 Member

uk
    I've got snap on and midwest aviation shears, both work well.

10. stuvy

stuvy Member

The Midwest ones are what I currently have

11. premmington

premmington Member

I have loads of Gilbow ones (blue painted handles) A set of three Wiss ones - with rubber coated handles.

One rouge Facom pair - really thin profile jaws - you can make long cuts with these and not bend the time too much.

MCKDAVID, slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  12. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

stuvy likes this.
  13. stuvy

stuvy Member

I did think about a bench mounted sheer but I wanted something to save picking a grinder up if I was just taking say a slither off of faffing at home in the shed

14. premmington

premmington Member

I gave up with a rotary shear - they only cut 1.6mm

I killed mine with slightly thicker stuff (2mm).

Grinder will cut any sheet metal...

15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

For thicker stuff I have a bench cutter....that gets through most stuff especially if I hang off the handle!

Best of all it came free on an old bench I bought years ago on fleabay....cant believe how lucky that was. I generally use it first and tidy up with hand shears....grinder is a last resort because of all the mess it makes!

stuvy likes this.
  16. mechman Member

The guys offshore used Gilbow and Wiss.

stuvy and Wallace like this.
  17. Wallace

Wallace Member

The cheap chit Wiss aviation copies will do the job if you use them correctly as aviation snips one handed.

Better quality real McCoy aviation snips will do the job longer, Gilbow’s are a different breed.

18. stuvy

stuvy Member

What’s the difference, apart from being assisted in the aviation snips

19. MCKDAVID Member

Bench shears are handy theres no doubt, but can't replace snips, different applications with some crossover, even with a shear you'll still need snips.

8ob likes this.
  20. daedalusminos Member

Advertisements