Time to upgrade the compressor

1. paulmitchell1984 Member

Ayup.
    Right my little lidl Compresssor has finally given up the ghost, iv been toying with an upgrade for a while but now I need to.

I'm now wanting to be able to comfortably run air tools (which I have at work) and be reasonably quiet.. I'm not talking hydrovain quiet but need to keep her indoors happy (garage is attached to house) plus garage door is always closed so it echoes abit.

I'm not sure what to opt for whether it be belt driven or motor style thing

Tools I'd like to use is die grinder, impact gun, air drill, occasional orbital sander and down the line small shot blast setup and painting of small panels

All the above are air hungry I know so guessing 150-200 tank tools need 8cfm to run efficently

So guys I'm up for suggestions budget cheap as possible but region of 5-800 is that reasonable?

Cheers and sorry for bambling

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

fizzy and Pigeon_Droppings2 like this.
  3. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

fizzy and brightspark like this.
  4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Can't comment on the Clarkes but I would say that my Wolf Dakota, which I love and think is excellent value for money, really doesn't like air tools.

So that's an anti-recommendation!

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. Domdom Member

I have one of those Clarke industrial 14cfm units and all it’s ever had in 15 years are oil changes and belts. Drives a 6 inch DA sander without issues. Needs the anti vibration feet and some kind of noise enclosure if you don’t want to go deaf. Also needs a 16 amp supply as it will blow 13 amp fuses for fun.

Edit. If you have 3 phase then a secondhand one would be cheap and powerful.

fizzy and BarrieJ like this.
  6. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

I had a Clarke 14cfm jobbie which I foolishly sold, it was about 15 years old and just nice and reliable. In a fit of madness I decided to sell it and go for something with a slightly smaller tank but about the same cfm (allegedly) and it really wasn't one of my better ideas :mad:

I should have used the Clarke pump and motor and attached them to a 19kg gas bottle instead :doh:

brightspark likes this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Anything single phase is going to struggle to keep up with die grinder type tools or shot blasting setups. I bought the Wolf Dacota 3hp and it's a good compressor for general work like spraying, nailing and inflating and it will run a rattle gun but if you want to run a cheap die grinder be ready to spend time waiting for ther tank to refill. I had an email from uktv saying it's on offer at £249 which is good for a 100ltr 3hp compressor.

8. paulmitchell1984 Member

I wouldn't say the tools are cheap as there all mac but this doesn't mean it isn't a cheap item re branded lol

9. RWD3M Member

I have a 28CFM Clarke single phase unit and I swear by it. It has 2 x 14CFM compressors but a single one would be sufficient for your needs. D/A will draw about 10CFM, the rest a bit less so as long as you don't want to use them all at the same time... :laughing:

WorkshopChris likes this.
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

i have a twin unit one 28cfm it runs the small blast pot perfectly with more air than needed. got it for 75 quid with one duff motor and the guy didn't know how it was wired . 90 quid for a new motor and it works fine

Hopefuldave and fizzy like this.
  11. RWD3M Member

£75!!! What an absolute bargain! :thumbup:

fizzy likes this.
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

the garage guys a right greedy person and gets stuff for next to nothing and charges a hell of a price selling or fixing stuff . he pratted on with the compressor for ages and got nowhere he asked me about the wiring on it and I just said I didn't know :)a month later its outside on the scrap heap so managed to get it off him cheap . they sold me a duff mobile comp for 150 quid . it was overheating . fixed the leak on the rad power washed all the core new diesel filters and its running fine . they were a bit narked when I fixed them and got them cheap but that's life :laughing:

Pigeon_Droppings2 and RWD3M like this.
  13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

brightspark likes this.
  14. chris pruteanu Member

I have an abac twin tank, direct drive 3 hp motor with a vtwin pump and does everything i ask of it: drives die grinders, impact tools and most power/air hungry tools with ease ! I wish the tanks were bigger than the 11+11 liters but it would not make it portable or compact anymore ! Well worth the 60 quid i paid for it at the time with a missing pressure release switch ! Well recommend Abac air compressors...

Hopefuldave likes this.
  15. RWD3M Member

Good for you mate!

16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I have a Clarke 14cfm 3hp with a 50L tank on wheels. It will run happily on a 13amp plug.
    It is fine with air tools. Will just about cope with a small sand blaster but ideally bigger for that.
    Go for belt drive - much quieter.

Some of the bigger Machine Marts have a returns section where you can often find compressors that have never even been used with £100 or more off. I saved £130 on mine just because it had a small dent in the guard.

17. paulmitchell1984 Member

Cheers guys it's looking like the xev16 just need to work out if I can fit a 200litre tank or just a 150.

18. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

I have a 100L 3HP single-phase SIP 'Workshop' model that was second-hand when I got it nearly 20 years ago and I've pulled the puddings out of it - it just keps going. The pump's one of the ABAC models. It will keep my sandlbast cabinet puffing away albeit the motor ends up running all the time.
    I'm guessing the OP doesn't have 3-phase in his garage which is a shame as I have a lovely 270L 30cfm advertised on the 'for sale' page... :whistle: :D

paulmitchell1984 likes this.
  19. Ali

Ali Member

Same bag, thanks for posting this thread. What does everyone do for keeping them quiet?

20. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

you could also keep the tank from your duff compressor for extra air, 20200222_163753_resized.jpg

Wany, Hopefuldave, Ali and 1 other person like this.
Advertisements