Tig Welder - AC/DC

1. Baly

Baly New Member

Hey people, so I've been reading loads in the background and thought it's time to take the plunge in registering. I'm a hobbyist who enjoys modifying cars and no workshop would be complete without a decent ac/dc tig to start trialling ali intercoolers and their pipes and stainless exhausts, with other ali fabrication ideas.

Initially I was looking at a Cros-Arc 200 and for the £700 mark it doesn't seem like a bad machine (I've not trialled it). Then the thought of budget krept into my mind and I though what the heck maybe I should push up to the 2K mark and buy something decent (i'm not one to skimp on decent tools, which I know will have a better resale value).

So for the 2K mark what do you recommend? I've been looking at GYS 220's (love the synergetic screen where it self configs to material type) and the Esab Caddi 2400 too and thinking should I spend a bit more.....any assistance/recommendations are welcome.

Sorry if i'm all over the place, but i'm literally typing how i'm thinking right now, excited about a new purchase and full of questions, hoping for some further direction.

@Richard.
    @Tom Orrow L

Guys just wanted to say, you've been very helpful with your knowledge over the years of my reading the forum in the background and I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you both.

B

Tom Orrow L and Richard. like this.
  2. Baly

Baly New Member

Oh and it has to be Single Phase.

3. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

220 is a bit better than 200, occasionally I would like just a tad more! As the actress said to the bishop.

Brad93, Baly and stuvy like this.
  4. Baly

Baly New Member

Still looking and awaiting suggestions peeps.....if you prefer to PM me then please do so to discuss.

Ta

5. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Lorch handy tig 200 (maybe out of your price range though)

Might able to get an ESAB caddy tig for your budget if you look around.
    GYS... if you can get a 220 for under £2k I'd be surprised, and snap it up! otherwise it will be the next model down, maybe the 207?

ThermalArc 202
    Parweld XTT 202

6. Richard.

Richard. Member

Did you get one in the end mate.
    Beautiful little sets ain’t they. I had a another play with one the other weekend when @no idea bought his one round for a tig tuition session. He had some awesome results out of it.

Baly likes this.
  7. Baly

Baly New Member

Thanks chap and noted, hearing good things about the Lorch HT200, also been reading up on the Lorch section as Lorch do have a tendency not to shout out about all the features in the secondary menu.

Also been looking at Fronius and EWM for comparison and if it would be worth spending the extra, or if i should go for 2nd hand unit (EWM ac/dc S/H isn't easy to find by the way)

Also looked at a GYS 220 ac/dc and not sure about it being a used machine with 1 year warranty, not sure if they're transferable to new owner etc.

Choices choices, but the more input i have the more of an informed decision i can make.

8. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    not yet :/ I had to spend £3.5k on other workshop stuff from a closing down sale, and my existing TIG welder still works...! but in a month or so i probably will, I've got a decent workload coming up.

9. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

The R Tech 260 is worth a look

Baly likes this.
  10. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

The GYS TIG 220 AC/DC is a class bit of kit, really simple to use and welds very well. If you want a demo on one just let me know and we'll get one of GYS' demonstrators up to you.

11. Joe Irvin

Joe Irvin New Member

Hi @Baly

The TIG 220 ACDC is a solid option and will have you covered for near enough all TIG applications. It has a few very cool features that will make your life much easier.

If you’re making stainless exhausts, the high frequency pulse (up to 2500hz if your ears can take it) is great for arc stability and heat input. You can also alter the waveform in AC which is brilliant for shaping your arc for different applications.

As @Tom Orrow L said, if you’d like to trial a machine, we would be more than happy to bring one to you!

All the best,

Joe

eLuSiVeMiTe and Tom Orrow L like this.
  12. DTS Member

Add in a cooler/water cooled torch if I were you, especially AC. Last one I sold I advised them to buy the cooler. Didn’t. One torch later, they did..

123hotchef and Baly like this.
  13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Caddy is a waste of time.

GYS unproven long term since their do over in my opinion and a lot of money.

Lorch all day long.
    HandyTig 200 or T220 will get you right on the money.

123hotchef, Baly and Richard. like this.
  14. Baly

Baly New Member

Brad thank you for your input, I see you have a handytig? And have created some
    Tasty pieces.

I’m looking into these Lorch’s at the mo and looking at functions in secondary menus etc.

Brad93 likes this.
  15. Richard.

Richard. Member

Brad is a true testament for the HandyTIG 200
    His little set gets a workout every day with horrid lumps of cast aluminium and 2 stroke manifolds

16. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Had mine three years or so. Bought it off another forum member about a year old.
    Probably use it for 15-30 arc hours a week depending on workload.
    Never put a foot wrong in 4 years.

It is 20A shy on power compared to other machines but it’s also a lot cheaper.

There’s no replacement for displacement, but if you need more heat, get a bottle of Argon/Helium and keep it for thicker ally jobs.

You don’t need gimmicks.

2kHz DC pulse is more than anyone needs.

Two job memories. I’ve got my go to AC setting and my standard DC settings for pipes. That’s all I need. I’d forget any more than that.

Waveforms is only any good if you’re welding really thin stuff in my experience.
    Funny though, how they managed to weld all these amazing aeroplanes and space shuttles prior to 1990 though with just transformer machines...

You can drop that lorch from 60cm and it will be absolutely fine.

I’m a big fan of lorch stuff. It’s made properly and I like their ethos. Plus you’ve got Richard and Matt right here on the forum to shoot a line to with any questions.

Richard. and 123hotchef like this.
  17. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I don't get this attitude. They are bang on welders, and decent value for money. it JUST SO happens that they aren't as modern as some of the competition in similar price bands.... but they aren't a waste of time, not at all. Plenty workshops have them and still buying them and are happy with them...
    Ok so if you want the BEST then they ain't it... both EWM and Lorch do better quality, or other makes do the same as ESAB for less money, but...

I'd buy an ESAB caddy tig over a lincoln, that's for sure... and I'm saying that as someone who has actually bought both, for my workplace :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    Baly likes this.
  18. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You forget mate, I used to work for Esab.

Open up an old caddy and a new one.

Seadog likes this.
  19. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    hmm... i know the new ones look like a cheap computer internally, but no idea what the old ones look like... but then most modern welders look rubbish inside?

20. Baly

Baly New Member

Quick update

The choices are narrowed down to the following:

Lorch T220
    Lorch Handytig 200
    EWM Tetrix 230

And all going to plan, should be making the purchase this coming week.

And a Stel 221 ac/dc machine which is Italian made and also known as the the HTP invertig 221 across the pond has been thrown into the mix this morning and seems to have got raving reviews some have even put it up against the dynasty and the HTP has come out on top. HTP offer 3 years, Stel in the EU only offer 2 return to base.

123hotchef likes this.
Advertisements