tig noob with foot pedal query

1. Baldrick New Member

Hello there. Im totally new to this tig welding, but keen to learn.
    I bought a cheap tig from fleabay, from the land of the Cheap tig, China.
    Here it is tig4.jpg
    now im getting on ok, I think, but I need to know how the foot pedal connects to the welder. the welder has one gas outlet, to the torch, see here tig3.jpg but the foot pedal has 2 connections. I presume one in and one out. so if the in connection comes from the centre port in the pic above, the out should go to the torch? is this right, as the out has the 3 hole fixing too? what is the connection on the rhs of the gas for?

also while im here, I got some 2.4 tungsten, gas shield and collet etc from a mate.
    It fits BUT, the end cap doesn't screw all the way in, like it did with my 1.6 set up. Its past the red o ring, but is this safe? im guessing maybe not, but of course, im clueless.
    tig1.jpg Thanks for any advice, and please go easy on the numpties.
    Cheers. Any help with settings or any advice weldcome, im just playing with the amperage just now, post flow set to 5 seconds, heres my first ever attempt at welding, what you reckon? IMG_2852.jpg
    this was just playing about with amperages.

cheers for any help or advice.

• tig4.jpg
    • tig2.jpg
    • tig3.jpg
    • tig3.jpg
    • tig1.jpg
  2. carbon

carbon Member

Looks like one connection from the pedal should be a switch(centre connection) and second connection would be the variable resistor connection to the right of centre with three connections. Connecting the pedal would mean disconnecting the torch switch

Hopefuldave and wyn like this.
  3. Baldrick New Member

ok thanks for replying.i did kinda realise that the torch switch would be disconnected for the foot pedal to work.

im still confused tho, - if one goes from the pedal to centre connection, and the other goes from the pedal to the right hand side connection, there still needs to be one going to the torch surely?

or am I being dumb?

4. no idea Member

The gas connection is also the torch power connection to carry the welding current. The two pin connector is for the switch on the torch, it doesn't carry the welding current.

5. carbon

carbon Member

The welding current is 'turned on' by activating the switch either from the torch or the foot pedal as either of these don't switch the welding current directly. The variable resistor in the pedal changes the welding current remotely from the welder but really is only used for welding aluminium

Baldrick and Hopefuldave like this.
  6. Richard.

Richard. Member

No.
    Imagine your torch has one job to do and that’s be your extension for gas and current.
    Your torch needs to be connected via the brass nut and the switch lead will just hang lose. Your pedal replaces your torch switch by plugging into the centre connection.
    Then the potentiometer plugs into the remote socket. That’s it. Should then just work

Baldrick likes this.
  7. Baldrick New Member

ahh right, I get it now. don't know why I had it in my head that there had to be a connection from the welder to the torch -doh. so the 2 leads from the foot pedal go to the welder and that's it. great .

thanks for your wisdom….and patience.....

What about the torch issue, in the last pic? is this gonna be safe to use do you think?

8. Richard.

Richard. Member

It won’t be unsafe to use but the back cap doesn’t look to be screwed into the torch head very far. Does it not tighten up any further?
    If not it may leak gas.

Baldrick likes this.
  9. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

10. Baldrick New Member

Thanks Paul, yes you're right, its missing the 2nd insulator. thanks for clearing that up. the 2,4 set up has a gas shield like the top pic.
    thanks for your help.

Advertisements