Tig build u

1. paulmitchell1984 Member

Hi guys just curious if when using tig you are able to build up material by stacking beads...
    I have a project where I need to make a groove on some ally but this will leave the wall really thin so I want to "beef" it up behind if this makes sense.. it's not structural just decorative

2. JLP

JLP Member

Yes it can be done. It is the exact process used in WAAM (Wire + Arc Additive Manufacture), something I am a bit of an expert in having done it for several years. It is not particularly hard to do manually tbh, just have to have good heat control

paulmitchell1984 likes this.
  3. paulmitchell1984 Member

Any hints or tips...I'm assuming not as much heat as when welding so that it doesnt penetrate too much.

4. JLP

JLP Member

I haven't done much manual stuff, but I tend to go hot and quick - roughly same current as when welding and then just cram the filler in, do it in little bits and should be okay.

Doing it with a foot pedal always helps as you can get the melt pool to open nicely, then come back on the current a bit to maintain it while putting filler in

EDIT: Check out @six1sixwelding on instagram - hes an expert at doing exactly what your after doing manually

5. Jlg

Jlg Member

Just run some beads and let it cool every few runs if it's not a big piece

6. AndersK Member

This was a 4 mm plate, now 30 mm.

It's a damn good exercise to run bead by bead, layer by layer.

It helps getting consistency and heat control.

It's amazing how much you need to lower current once it gets heat saturated.

Screenshot_20190211-175511~2.png

7. Yep Paul it's easy enough, done loads of similar stuff on engine casings, just make sure it doesn't get too hot or the aluminium parent material will collapse

Advertisements