Thread Tap Extension?

1. mymini86

mymini86 Life is a sum of all your choices.

After replacing the injector seal on the van, the clamping bolt has partially stripped its thread, so I will need to tap and Helicoil a recessed M6 (possibly M7) hole into the cylinder head.

maxresdefault.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    The recess is approx 125mm deep, and I only have the standard shorter style tap, I have found some long M6/M7 on eBay for approx £15 each, but rather than buying individual ones I was just wondering if anybody knows where I can get some generic extension to use with the shorter tap?

Similar to this below

2. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

On this type of jigger pokery I use an old 1/4" drive socket and beat it onto the tap, then just use the 1/4" drive extension bar.

Bob

Ruffian, Sean, Gragson and 5 others like this.
  3. Pete.

Pete. Member

On many taps you can turn the 1/4" extension backwards and use the square to turn the tap, put tap wrench on the other end.

I also made an extension for a recoil spark plug repair tap by welding a scrap 1/4" socket to a piece of rod so the square end was showing, and weldeing a nut on the other end for turning it. The square didn't quite grip the 6mm square end of the tap so I cut the four corners with a 1mm disc and then welded them again. The welds pulled it in and it then gripped the tap well.

slim_boy_fat, mymini86 and 8ob like this.
  4. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

Tap a nut onto the square of the tap.
    Use a socket and wrench to turn it.

Coat the tap in heavy grease. makes it easier to keep the swarf under control.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    winchman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. Bill Edwards Member

Mercedes CDI...?

Be careful not to be rough when you bottom out the tap as I’m told the water jacket is quite easy to break into, so be extra careful.

premmington and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Carboot sale, cheapo chineese socket set ( imperial) 12 point sockets keep the ones that fit on the square shank and bin the rest( scrap bin for future bodgery) so your not tempted to use them

Normal extension bar and a tommy bar/ t handle

8ob likes this.
  7. carbon

carbon Member

Not sure what they are classed as but had two in a socket set, one is 1/4” squ both ends think the other is 1/4” to 10mm squ have used that on taps in deep holes before

8. premmington

premmington Member

You can buy extra long taps for this job - not sure where I got mine - in a purpose made kit I think - with the thread repair inserts.

The inserts have a hex in them - to screw them down into the - head/bigger hole.

Avoid the water jacket - as Bill Edwards has already noted.

9. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

There are 1/4-3/8 drive sockets available to take Sq taps. There’s a magnet in side to hold the tap as well.

image.jpg

10. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Or there's adjustable tap wrench style sockets about. Irwin do them, 2 sizes covers about m5 to m12 from memory.

11. awemawson Forum Supporter

I use a long tap wrench - Eclipse E145 iirc E145.jpg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

You can drill a hole in the end of a round bar that'll fit the square of the tap and cross drill it for a set screw to hold the tap in place, only needed it once but it worked very nicely.

premmington, slim_boy_fat and rory1 like this.
  13. rory1

rory1 Member

I do the similar but drill a interfearance fit hole, warm the round stock up and knock the tap in.

premmington and Maker like this.
  14. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

ive tig welded round ms bar with 309 to a tap where i had no side clearance ,worked well but was only on ally casting

premmington likes this.
Advertisements