Thoughts on this Myford Lathe for sale

1. 3000alloy

3000alloy Member

2. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    Nice little lathe, but to my mind twice the price it should be. And what goes with it? if all you get is whats in the pics you will have to spend a small fortune to fit it out with tooling it will need.
    There was a Smart & Brown on fb marketplace over the weekend for just over a quarter of that money, a far better buy.

3000alloy, addjunkie, garethp and 2 others like this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

3000alloy likes this.
  4. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

The only reason myfords are "worth" what people pay for them is because of their size.

As a machine tool a reasonable price would be in the £500 range, depending on tooling.

Fully refurbished, as in bed ground refurbishment not just a paint job then into 4 figures but not for a tri-leva IMO.

There are better lathes in the same size category but they are far less common.

5. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

I have an ML7, its a nice little lathe. That one, has 2 desirable features: gearbox plus tri-leva which will bump the price up.

Though it is missing the drive belt cover, no stand and no tooling. Agree with above comments, complete on a stand with accessories it may be worth £1500. As it is, ironically is likely worth most money breaking it for parts say £500 for gearbox, £200 to £300 for tri-leva and £300 to £400 for whats left. So price is likely double what it is worth and as a lathe you would need to spend so much extra on accessories and tools it would still not be a good buy at half the price.

I just helped to sell a basic ML7 in good condition on a Myford Stand with drip tray, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, swivelling milling attachment, fixed and travelling steadies, centres, tailstock chucks and lots of tooling for £650.

The big advantage of a Myford is they hold their value and spares are easily available, though as others have said there are far better larger lathes available for much less money.

3000alloy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

3000alloy likes this.
  7. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

I hope the warco is better than the Axminster version. Hilariously bad but could be ok with a bit of work.

3000alloy and Keith 66 like this.
  8. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

I’ve never seen the Axminster version, I wouldn’t compare one with say a Boxford, Bantum or a L5, totally different ball game but the old one I used to use would run rings round a Myford.

3000alloy likes this.
  9. Mikes Member

Far too much money. The tailstock is an early type - awful to use and this either dates the machine or has been swapped-out as someone wanted the later type. No stand, no chucks or equipment. In my mind, best left for someone else. Sold my own Super 7 last year - on stand, with gearbox and a mass of chucks including collets and other tooling for a lot less than this bare lathe.

3000alloy likes this.
  10. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    It's about 3 years since I last saw some Axminster metal working machines in their Newcastle shop and the visual finish was terrible with poor paint job and very rough castings. Not cheap either..

However by now they may have improved.

11. mr_splatter

mr_splatter Member

Yes too much money. This looks quite early judging by the oilers. I have a good nick Super 7 admittedly without the gearbox and although I like it I would prefer something bigger. Myford do hold their price but they are overrated in my opinion if you compare to mid range lathes. They appeal because they are not to big for the average owner to move. A lot of the cost of the bigger lathes is moving them and maybe 3 phase conversion to the average home user. I paid 500 for mine about 10 years ago. I could get my money back easily so from that perspective it won't have cost me anything. Let's not talk about all the tooling I bought

3000alloy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

Their mini lathe and mini mill appear to just be rebadged Chinese offerings.

The bandsaw, grinder, and belt sanding are fine though.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Waaaay too much :vsad: [although I wouldn't mind a gearbox for my Tri-Leva :whistle:]

3000alloy likes this.
  14. jordan1 Member

ML7 Tri-lever with gearbox good small lathe, depends on wear of course, no stand. Doesn't say anything about any extras. Worth £1000 if in good condition overall IMO.

3000alloy likes this.
  15. brightspark

brightspark Member

yep as long as theres no wear on the beds or bearings that piece would be about right as it has the gear box . big ££££ sometimes there worth more in bits than one unit . ive got one that I cant make my mind up which is best to do may sell the stand raiser blocks and 4 jaw chuck separate to the lathe

16. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

Have a look on the " gandmtools.co.uk " website. They have a good selection of used lathes, and currently there is a Myford Tri Leva lathe with gearbox offered for substantially less money.

17. brightspark

brightspark Member

not really needed a try leva the gearbox is good though my brother has a mint super seven with all the extras and stand . showed me the bill for it 400 quid new :othink I paid just over 600 for my ml7

18. RichardM Member

19. Turbo Member

What most of you haven't noticed is the location of the lathe - it's in Northern Ireland, not too far away from me. Over here lathes, milling machines, etc fetch very high prices, usually at least double what you pay in mainland UK.

It comes down to scarcity, good lathes rarely appear for sale & rare models like that ML7 with the Tri-leva & screw cutting gearbox are like hens teeth! I have a ML7 with Tri-leva, no stand but all original accessories & when I sell it I will be asking £1000, that's what they make over here!

That being said that lathe is a tad overpriced, £1500 would be nearer to the price for it.

20. Galwaymick Member

Ireland
    Turbo
    Try Damian over in Newtownards (hes on donedeal). He has not got a lot on there at the moment but he always has plenty of stock (up to about boxford size). Hes a nice guy to deal with even if there still Irish prices compared to the mainland. I was up there about a month ago and he has a lot of stuff laying around.

Advertisements